Quantcast
J-Nat Club - Page 22
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: J-Nat Club

Quote Originally Posted by vinster View Post
    "kiita" roughly translates to yellow plate or something like that, but I've read that it ranges from lime green to all shades of yellow... so my question is this. Does kiita refer to any particular strata? Is it just from the namito layer? Can suita stones be classified as kiita? Tomae stones? Or is it purly used to describe the color? Which of these (if any) would be considered kiita?
    I've seen stones of more than one stratum named kiita, so I don't think there's any rule about which strata they come from, though of course kiita colours are likely to occur in certain strata more than others. Not completely sure about this, but my feeling is: a mine is a mine and a stratum is a stratum, but other names you encounter like kiita, karasu, renge, habutae, etc, can just be used when seen fit as they're subjective. It probably only takes a stone seller or owner to say, 'Look my stone is yellowish, so it's a kiita.' Therefore, I think you can probably say that any of those stones are kiita.

On the other hand, I think when people think of kiita I think they imagine nakayama or honyama, as those are the traditional and coveted ones, and therefore kiita probably implies origin in that sense. In your photo, I don't think anyone would dispute that honyama on the left is a kiita, nor the second one with the Kyoto tennen toishi stamp.

So I think the above is probably right, but no guarantees. None of us are real stone experts on KKF!

Sponsors
    Sorry guys i have still many things to do and did not fully recovered yet, so all my replies is very slow

it is from Tamba, but Tamba is not a mine just a region. So it can be from many places

As it is quite old Aoto i have no idea where it comes from Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by CoqaVin View Post
    Maxim can you reply as to what mine this is from?

Sponsors
    I think most of us here know more about stone then many many Japanese Natural stone retailers.
    So you are bit wrong about that
    Noone really cers about mines or stratas come from, most of Japanese care more about how stone work.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    None of us are real stone experts on KKF!

Quote Originally Posted by maxim View Post
    I think most of us here know more about stone then many many Japanese Natural stone retailers. So you are bit wrong about that. Noone really cers about mines or stratas come from, most of Japanese care more about how stone work.
    I didn't mean that many natural sellers in Japan are experts, though I'm sure some know their stuff, and there certainly are some experts too. But okay, I'll follow you as it's more fun and I've changed my mind: we are experts!

Sorry guys i have still many things to do and did not fully recovered yet, so all my replies is very slow
    ... Also, hope you feel better again soon. In the mean time, we'll try and enjoy ourselves with the discussions here.

Hope you feel better Maxim!

Thanks Again much appreciated...

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    I didn't mean that many natural sellers in Japan are experts, though I'm sure some know their stuff, and there certainly are some experts too. But okay, I'll follow you as it's more fun and I've changed my mind: we are experts!
    I think expertise come from trying so many stones as possible
    Almost all stone vendors in Japan dont try out stones before they sell them. And some do but not on knives. usually on chisels or on kanna blades
    Thats why i think some of us have more knowledge what work best for knives razors etc .

My lil' collection: blue Aoto, Hakka & Monzento

I'm very happy with all three but I love, love, love the Hakka. Smooth, soft, and muddy. Just a real pleasure to sharpen on and it leaves an incredible edge on my knives. I've wrote about the Aoto earlier in this thread - still working on figuring out how to utilize it best. The Monzento is my most recent purchase and I'm having a lot of fun playing with it.

I think expertise come from trying so many stones as possible
    Almost all stone vendors in Japan dont try out stones before they sell them. And some do but not on knives. usually on chisels or on kanna blades
    Thats why i think some of us have more knowledge what work best for knives razors etc .
    That's actually really interesting. I would assume the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by JDA_NC View Post

I'm very happy with all three but I love, love, love the Hakka. Smooth, soft, and muddy. Just a real pleasure to sharpen on and it leaves an incredible edge on my knives.
    That's one very beautiful Hakka.

+ Reply to Thread