Quantcast
J-Nat Club - Page 25
+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: J-Nat Club

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    Absolutely not. This is crucial!
    Ohhhh,
    You know, when the people want to understand eachother- they do it, when they have other intentions -they do it as well.
    This is crucial!
    I thought always, that the guys share here some ideas, their own experience etc- this is the open blog zone , isn't it??
    So- only for you: Yoshino paper, or just japanese paper, even without any special name, or even a piece of something to reinforce the fingerstone- important- it should work, with a mantra or without it .

Andrey, do you use any particular lacquer? One of these days I'm going to lacquer some of mine, but I've been lazy about getting round to it and also waiting to get natural lacquers. (A friend is holding some urushi, etc, for me that I have to pick up.) I'm assuming the new Tsushima is lacquered; the one I had from JNS had already been lacquered and paper-reinforced, and I was just reading in another place today how it is important for Tsushima which always seem to be lacquered.

Yoshino - Might be made from rice as I've heard of 'rice paper' being used with lacquer. Could make sense as it the yoshino I had was thinner, and so probably would be easier to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    Andrey, do you use any particular lacquer? One of these days I'm going to lacquer some of mine, but I've been lazy about getting round to it and also waiting to get natural lacquers. (A friend is holding some urushi, etc, for me that I have to pick up.) I'm assuming the new Tsushima is lacquered; the one I had from JNS had already been lacquered and paper-reinforced, and I was just reading in another place today how it is important for Tsushima which always seem to be lacquered.

Yoshino - Might be made from rice as I've heard of 'rice paper' being used with lacquer. Could make sense as it the yoshino I had was thinner, and so probably would be easier to work with.
    Asteger- you won't believe, today i was surfing through the WEB trying to find something to replace urushi ! I have heard many times that it could be possible to use the cashew shellack instead of. I have found it already ( de- waxed version).
    I'll try on a Takashima, it needs quick lacquering. My Tsushima has been already protected. My old good Jnats ( Ohiras, Nakayamas, Shinden, Okudo etc have the same protection).
    I suppose that not only Yoshino could be used as a reinforcement, actually ( i suppose ) some thin fabrics, why not?? Or even some fine fibers, with a very fine structure.

Andrey, could you share a link please? I'll get the stone i brought from Asteger soon and i might want to laquer it as well. I thought shellac and cashew were different ones. What i'm looking for is a clear laquer, so i'll still see the stone
    Tom.

Is that really that important what chemical you'll use to protect the stone? After all JNATs are just stones… and the only function of lacquer is to protect stone from water/humidity. Right?

My experience though is limited to only one stone. I got Takashima from JNS and following Maxim's advice covered it with shellac. Quick, cheap and works fine. Maybe I'm missing something but it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    Is that really that important what chemical you'll use to protect the stone? After all JNATs are just stones… and the only function of lacquer is to protect stone from water/humidity. Right?
    It's a good question, but I'm not sure anyone here really knows about this. On one hand, we can play it safe (if we can get the materials) and use traditional methods. On the other hand, I think people like Maxim and other (mostly former) KKF big collectors also use cheaper and available lacquers where they live. Not sure to what extent the lacquers are artificial.

There might be some concern about the stability and chemisty of the stone material, beyond the more physical things we see, when using any kind of lacquer. These rocks were deep within mountains, etc, for millenia and perhaps solvents are not the healthiest and most stable for the newly exposed stone material, with perhaps artificial solvents being worse. I've also read the suggestion that you should even just use pure, clean water when you use stones, and not harsh tap water for this reason. Makes some sense.

I have no idea if these things matter, but can understand the reasoning. On the other hand, there's the convenience and cost involved in buying sealing materials, and we don't know that traditional/natural is necessarily the best. Maybe aritifical is fine.

Myself, as these are traditional tools and interesting for that reason, I'd prefer more traditional methods, just as I prefer the naturals over synthetics.

J-Nat Club

I think, that the non- toxic materials are just better, because they are non toxic. Urushi can ( and often does) cause the heavy allergic reaction. The shellacs does not ( or , at least , the risk is low)
    The urushi provides nothing more ( for a Jnat, not for decorative items) then the polymerized coating, which protects the stone from humidity and helps to glue it as well , it comes into cracks reinforcing the surface etc, so it should be possible to find the modern non toxic " Ersatz" for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TaJ View Post
    Andrey, could you share a link please? I'll get the stone i brought from Asteger soon and i might want to laquer it as well. I thought shellac and cashew were different ones. What i'm looking for is a clear laquer, so i'll still see the stone
    Sure, sorry, cashew and shellac are different ! I was looking at those ( reading/ discussing the possible order etc), so , you know, as after Freud, what you are thinking about... sorry again. The shellac should be more affordable. Need to seal my Takashima soonest

I see, ok. Well, i am interested with what you all come up with. Which of the laquers we talk about are clear, meaning translucent?
    Tom.

Hi there¨
    I am almost certain, that this stone ist rubbish, but maybe its not. Can someone more knowlegable than me enlighten me?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...Fm0?feat=email

Thank you so much
    Benjamin

+ Reply to Thread