Quantcast
J-Nat Club - Page 27
+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: J-Nat Club

J-Nat Club

Quote Originally Posted by TaJ View Post
    Cool. I received the Ohira Suita i got from Asteger. It's a very nice, solid peace of rock and i want to give it some laquer bling.

Voilà! It works very good with shellack from Rustin's. Just one layer done, looks good, tomorrow will check it with some water. It comes into the cracks as well, so no need to use the rice paper, i think. Name:  ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1394201229.591743.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  13.4 KBClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1394201239.479971.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	22612
    Extra layers will give deeper color.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1394212690.539001.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	22630
    Lacquering in progress..

Nice. How many coats? What are the stones from L to R?

Also, I notice you've left the sticker on the aoto (2nd from left). I know it's the fashion, but I'm also tempted to rip them off. Why'd you choose to leave yours on?

Name:  ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1394260174.477015.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  17.8 KB
    2-3 coats. Medium color intensity.
    Reg Aoto- i do not follow this kind of fashion - the reason why to leave the sticker is simple:
    - it was on- so it's a kind of existing reinforcement, so to me it's a kind of " clever use"
    - to take it off, to wash the glue off, to wait until dry again etc etc etc- i had my Shellack session and i wanted to go to the end quicker .
    So nothing about fashion, just the mix between " lazy" and " clever" .
    This time i have finished :Takashima, Aoto, Kiiro Suita Sunashi from Totoriya ( was lacquered before, but just one transparent original coat), Ohira Tomae Kan, Ohira Shiro Renge Suita( great white suita, so even after coating looks much lighter, then the others), the Gobyoyama Ikimurazaki Tomae Totoriya ( great extra-hard extra-fine finisher, like a very good Nakayama Kiita, i don't care if they have " invented" their name, their stones are awesome!!), Okudo Suita. This time is enough, i just wanted to try out the new ready-to-use shellack - i like the result, the coating is good, sure, and even nice! Have to remove some drops of the shellack from the working surface of the stones, and that's it! This is the simple process, i wouldn't come to idea to show it, but we had it in the discussion, so why not??

It's a nice colour on with the lacquer. Wow, that Takashima is huge!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey V View Post
    So nothing about fashion, just the mix between " lazy" and " clever"
    Haha, ideal combination of qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    It's a nice colour on with the lacquer. Wow, that Takashima is huge!

Indeed, and very smooth and muddy

Haha, ideal combination of qualities.

So you both did it. I need to run and try to fetch some shellac.
    Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by TaJ View Post
    So you both did it. I need to run and try to fetch some shellac.
    Yehh!! Welcome to the shellack club!!

If anyone can't get ahold of shellac, I've had good luck with this lacquer: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...,45092&p=45092. I like that it's clear, and so preserves the colour of the stone. It's inexpensive, dries fast, and a quart goes a long way.

I got the shellac, already in a ready-to-use solution. Also a bottle of overprized isopropylalcohol dubbed 'shellac solvent'. That's how you sell basic stuff for a nice profit.

So, now how to go about it. I want to remove the old laquer from the stone and put new laquer on it. I own three Atoma diamond plates, 140, 400 and 600 grit as well as different grit sand paper. The way i guess it could work is i flatten the sides of the stone with the 140 Atoma which will remove the laquer as well. If there is some laquer left in dents, i can use the sandpaper. Then i'd wash the stone with clear water (to wash out the lose particles which will have accumulated in the little (Suita) holes. Then let it dry and apply a first thin coat of laquer. Then let this dry and coat again.

Is this about right so far and how many thin coats would you suggest? Is there something like a howto already posted somewhere?

Cheers!
    Tom.

+ Reply to Thread