Quantcast
J-Nat Club - Page 31
+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: J-Nat Club

I see. So, the local users don't care exactly where the stones come from as long as they are of a certain quality.
    That's similar to chili peppers in South America. There, yellowish peppers are called 'yellow pepper' or Aji Amarillo, or another type Rocoto Rojo 'red pepper'. The chili-heads talk of dozens of different kinds of peppers which the local population would just call 'red pepper'. They don't care and use what they grow or buy at the market. It's us who complicate things

The shellac on my stone is not completely hard yet. I did 3 layers by now. I think will try to do it like you Andrey with my next stone. Also, i will try different shellac. The one i used was ready to use and it says it's without wax. The fact that it's not getting completely hard makes me doubt this.
    Tom.

J-Nat Club

Quote Originally Posted by TaJ View Post
    I see. So, the local users don't care exactly where the stones come from as long as they are of a certain quality.
    That's similar to chili peppers in South America. There, yellowish peppers are called 'yellow pepper' or Aji Amarillo, or another type Rocoto Rojo 'red pepper'. The chili-heads talk of dozens of different kinds of peppers which the local population would just call 'red pepper'. They don't care and use what they grow or buy at the market. It's us who complicate things

The shellac on my stone is not completely hard yet. I did 3 layers by now. I think will try to do it like you Andrey with my next stone. Also, i will try different shellac. The one i used was ready to use and it says it's without wax. The fact that it's not getting completely hard makes me doubt this.
    Exactly! The wax inside could be responsible for it! That's why better to take the flakes or the reliable ready-to-use product. All the stones i've lacquered have a really hard coat on, and the water drops roll off easily. It helps a lot, the stone gets wet only from the sharpening side and the stone gets dry after it MUCH quicker. Enough to sprinkle or to spray some water on it- it takes as much as needed and go!
    The right product is very important. I prepare my new cutting board right now, using the mix of mineral oil and beeswax (1 to4), leaving each coat for 24 hours to enter into the wood,then to rub in gently with the cotton tissue, polish the rest of, put the new layer etc. You know, it gives same result as on stones: you can use it for years without problems!

Quote Originally Posted by TaJ View Post
    Not sure why would you wan't applying more then one layer, since it's just for protection, not for the looks… for some shellac based lacquers it's normal to keep some flex after drying. For example the one I've used contains silicone which gives some additional protection from scuffs and scratches.
    Here's the picture of one I used:

Unless you intentionally want to overcomplicate it, even one layer of shellac would give your stone enough protection from wet

J-Nat Club

Name:  ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1395469037.014279.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  9.2 KB
    Why overcomplicate ?
    It works as a glue as well, it protects from humidity and it looks deeper and nicer with some extra- layers. And you know, the word " overcomplicate" for guys using Jnats... most of us here are looking for perfection, it has nothing to do with reasonability - it's more then a hobby: it's a passion! If to look at it from this point of view, the extra-layers give you some extra- beauty. So it might work as well . Otherwise one can always take a synthetic whetstone and be happy with it- this is reasonable, no protection needed, and not overcomplicated. So let us play using these expensive toys!
    BTW- i use this pure shellack- it has no silicone, only pure shellack and alcohol. I put 3-4 layers- it comes out shiny, glossy, pure beauty- i like it. And the protection is awesome.

ikarashi

kyoto aoto

vintage aoto

Nice to see the picts, Panda. Am I correct? ... Ikarashi from Vinster and old aoto from ChrisW?

it is indeed vinny's old ikarashi, but the aoto was from maxim (not through his site however), the small aoto was from metalmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    it is indeed vinny's old ikarashi, but the aoto was from maxim (not through his site however), the small aoto was from metalmaster.
    Ahah. Yes. I have the unfortunate problem of storage space for my jnats... I can't hide them from my boss for much longer...

Looked everywhere and could only find the Rustin's available from the UK. Is it available in the US to save on shipping?

Bill, I've used Bulleye brand Shellac and it was pretty easy to clean and created a waterproof seal. You can pick up a tin just about anywhere for under 10 bucks.

+ Reply to Thread