Quantcast
J-Nat Club - Page 34
Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: J-Nat Club

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    2!!?

I like my nagura, and even I just have 1!
    Even you??

Chu is great, i often use it even instead of any Aoto ( better together, but..)- it is so quick, really quick. I often use the combination of Kuro Nagura and Chu Nagura, as a progression, before Suitas and finer finishers.
    Can be used even as bevel setter.
    As i told before - i don't really like to use really coarse stones, like Amakusa, Igarashi or Binsui, the Naguras give me better and nicer feeling at the beginning of the sharpening process. And it's really easy to win back the sharp edge after some strokes.

So the stone is really recommended to anyone, doesn't metter, how fine would you like to have your edge. Just to use it as a coarser stone, or medium grit stone, or even last stone( for " toothy" edge)
    I will sell one of two to my friend- now i should decide which one

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey V View Post
    So the stone is really recommended to anyone, doesn't metter, how fine would you like to have your edge. Just to use it as a coarser stone, or medium grit stone, or even last stone( for " toothy" edge) I will sell one of two to my friend- now i should decide which one
    Ah-ha, now I understand why 2.

Yes, I like mine too. Good for getting rid of scratch marks, as it's supposed to be.

most of my stones

Takashima and a Shobudani Iromono
    Name:  P6091161.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  12.4 KB
    Ohira Suita and an Ikenouichi Tomae
    Name:  P6091158.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  12.8 KB
    Aoto and an Odori Nagura
    Name:  P6091162.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  12.5 KB
    Okudo Suita
    Name:  P6091163.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  14.3 KB
    Hideri, Nakayama and Ohira Koppa
    Name:  P6091164.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  13.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

jklip, that's a pretty impressive collection of bricks!

I've got a dumb question about small Hakka stone from JNS. I've added one of those to my order to qualify for Maxim's free shipping:

Well it arrived and now I have no idea what it is and how to use it best. Any advices are highly appreciated. I asked same question to Maxim and he promised to write some review/article when he got time (but they might take a while and I hate waiting).

J-Nat Club

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    jklip, that's a pretty impressive collection of bricks!

I've got a dumb question about small Hakka stone from JNS. I've added one of those to my order to qualify for Maxim's free shipping:

Well it arrived and now I have no idea what it is and how to use it best. Any advices are highly appreciated. I asked same question to Maxim and he promised to write some review/article when he got time (but they might take a while and I hate waiting).
    Hi,
    It's an easy stone- the kind of very soft Hakka- can be used as a soft Nagura, as a rust removing stone. You can even sharpen the smaller knives. I have it as well, i use it also for special small edge/ side polishing tasks and slurry creating. To use the slurry as a soft base in combination with Uchigomori

My big kiita (mine unknown) from Japan which I recently received.
    Not the best shapewise but great size and very hard.
    No toxic inclusions either as far as I can tell.
    Size is roughly 350mm X 170mm X 40mm at the maximum edges.
    Haven't tried it out on my knives yet but as I'm currently flattening it with my Atoma #140, it is taking a lot of effort so I think it is quite hard.
    The mud from the flattening is yellowish and quite fine as well.
    Once I finish flattening it, it will be an absolutely wonderful stone.

Quote Originally Posted by jklip13 View Post
    most of my stones ...
    Holy smokes. Some nice ones there.

A couple questions: what do you know about the odori nagura? If I've come across that name, I forget. Also, how do the ikenoichi and shobu iromono perform? I'd be happy to get my hands on a good shobu like that - they can be pricey - and don't really know about the ikenoichi.

Quote Originally Posted by tchan001 View Post
    My big kiita (mine unknown) from Japan which I recently received....
    Could well be a good one. Don't worry about it too much if it seems to take forever to flatten, I think, as you say it's taking a while. I use an Atoma 140 too, and do it while watching tv. I think I've taken somewhere close to 2 hours for hard stones - a couple of Aizu in my case including evening out the stone so there's no tilt. Actually, many stones are not 'finished' well at all eitehr and can be improved if you want, flattening on the sides and bottom and corners too.

[QUOTE=Asteger;
    .... Also, how do the ikenoichi and shobu iromono perform? ....
    My latest Shobu Iromono,for example, performs as a God
    No, really, it'a big one, really fine and quite hard. IMHO, finess / hardness is almost perfect.
    Not for stainless, but really great on high-carbons. I mean one can use it with any steel, but i preffer to specify every stone for every task and avery knife. Alors- a good Shobu is a good stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey V View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Asteger
    .... Also, how do the ikenoichi and shobu iromono perform? ....
    My latest Shobu Iromono,for example, performs as a God
    No, really, it'a big one, really fine and quite hard. IMHO, finess / hardness is almost perfect.
    Not for stainless, but really great on high-carbons. I mean one can use it with any steel, but i preffer to specify every stone for every task and avery knife. Alors- a good Shobu is a good stuff!!

Andrey - was that the shobu from aframes? I had my eye on that one but you snatched it up. I have a similar looking shobu that I also like very much.,