Quantcast
J-Nat Club - Page 41
Page 41 of 55 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: J-Nat Club

I have a stone that looks very similar to that. I can't remember if it was an aizu or ikarashi, or sold as an "unknown" stone, but it's a very good one. Finer than the few ikarashi I've tried, yet faster cutting with really nice feedback.

The white spots are really just cosmetic -- I can't feel them and they don't affect the finish when sharpening.

I'll try to post some pics soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    Okay - Andrey posts so many photos that I thought I should contribute one. This is of a rare Aizu, one of my fav stones and one you don't hear talked of much, though there are a few blog entries out there where people extoll their virtues. Basically, it's a hard medium stone, at the finer end of medium, and known for being fast and good with all sorts of steels, and great at getting rid of scratch marks. Really, I think for kitchen knives this is as fine as you need to - or even should - go, as it goes up to around 5k. They're described as 2k-5k, but this one is probably 4k-5k. Here it is:

I actually have 3 right now and they're all very similar, but with slightly different speeds and fineness. This is probably the finest of the 3 but it's currently SPF. The others are great too, but this one's probably the most eye-catching. I chose to sell it because it's fineness somewhat starts to overlap with other stones I have, such as Tsushima nagura, Asano Tenjo nagura, and Chu nagura, and of course I have the 2 others, including 1 that looks very similar to this one.

Vinster - I think I remember you saying you'd bought that one as an 'unknown' but figured it was Aizu and were very happy with the find. If in doubt, the 2 I've had like above are clearly finer than the Ikarashi I've tried, enough that they could be the next step up in a progression.

A couple months ago JNS had the oddest Aizu I've seen (in photos) and some lucky person got it, I guess. You'd never expect this one was Aizu:

Actually i did as it is dance stone as all Aizus i tried.
    I think Aizu differ from others that it dose not have those holes and it is very very dance stone.
    All i have sold anyway.

There are quite a bit of Aizus on internet but in fact they are Ikarashis or Amakusas
    I even seen in some stores in Tokyo where they sell Amakusa as Aizu :P

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    Vinster - I think I remember you saying you'd bought that one as an 'unknown' but figured it was Aizu and were very happy with the find. If in doubt, the 2 I've had like above are clearly finer than the Ikarashi I've tried, enough that they could be the next step up in a progression.

A couple months ago JNS had the oddest Aizu I've seen (in photos) and some lucky person got it, I guess. You'd never expect this one was Aizu:

Quote Originally Posted by maxim View Post
    I think Aizu differ from others that it dose not have those holes and it is very very dance stone.
    Yes, dense and no 'bubbles' of course.

Quote Originally Posted by maxim View Post
    There are quite a bit of Aizus on internet but in fact they are Ikarashis or Amakusas
    I even seen in some stores in Tokyo where they sell Amakusa as Aizu :P
    I don't think this is very common, but I know you know of Saicom and they had several a long time ago for suspiciously low prices. At any rate, we know that even experts can have difficulty ID-ing some stones. And, like the Aizu renge above, there are always variations with natural products and lots of surprises. We have to buy from good sources.

As for names, some Amakusa are also sold as Ikarashi too - enough that people get confused and think Ikarashi are from Kyushu. I don't, however, think the intention really is to deceive. It's more about convenience. For example, the JNS red and green aoto are not traditional aoto at all, but I guess were called this because people recognise the 'aoto' name and it suits them as they can be used in a similar way. Of the other types of stones called Aoto, going back in time I don't think even Kameoka & Tamba were originally called this either; I think the originals must have been blue Kaisei/Aizu/Ikarashi.

Honyama is another unclear name.

how do those aizu/unknown stones feel? i'm guessing it feels like an ikarashi? (which i'm not entirely thrilled with) i wonder if there is a medium finish one that is neither hard or soft but still provides good amount of mud.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    how do those aizu/unknown stones feel? i'm guessing it feels like an ikarashi? (which i'm not entirely thrilled with) i wonder if there is a medium finish one that is neither hard or soft but still provides good amount of mud.
    Is the Ikarashi too hard for your tastes? You wouldn't like Aizu then.

I've got several other mediums. I can try a comparison for you if you give me a few days.

Yes, please do, always enjoy your insights

Thanks, P. As far as I know, you and I are the only people here with Natsuya (one of my favs). What do you normally use after yours? I'm wondering if you use something between it and your aoto.

J-Nat Club

I would also be interested in this, the ikarashi is good, but is definitely the weak point in my progression now. I've been kind of halfassed looking for a natsuya since fine tools ran out, and would be curious to see what else is out there.

I go right to aoto from natsu