Page 43 of 65 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: J-Nat Club

Quote Originally Posted by TaJ View Post
    I see you're busy getting new stones too Andrey Asteger, ya, somehow i just clicked 'buy' when i saw this nice looking stone. Just said to myself 'yes, i want something to use before my finishers, so let's get this one'.
    I'm looking for new great stones all the time ! This is the process not to avoid . And again- the Aiiwatani is great, i took mine because i tried it out. I took a good " Aoto" from the last bunch as well, though i have 2 others. These are , BTW, Akapins, but mined differently, old stock, the miner thought these were others, between the stratas, so the purity and softness is not as known for Akapin, MUCH better. These from JNS are really good. I tried them out before as well. Good pre-polishers. Glad for you! I ' m very selective now, having many stones, so it's enough no get just the best !

I'm eager to use them both. The rainbow has to arrive, then both, the rainbow and the sun, have to get their lacquer.

Has someone a online source (or just the brand name) for a good shellac to share?[/QUOTE]

Yes, any particular brand of shellac that you J-nat guys always use?

I see, I like, I cut.
    I see, I like, I cut!

Quote Originally Posted by V1P View Post
    Yes, any particular brand of shellac that you J-nat guys always use? I see, I like, I cut.
    Look above for an example. However, there should be various possibilities wherever you are and they shouldn't cost too much. If they're natural (a good thing, we assume) it's just shellac with alcohol. However, I've read that 1) you want to make sure it's fresh (could have a manufacturing date) and, 2) it's best to buy dry shellac flakes and mix them with the right kind and amount of alcohol in order to get the best quality. Read about this on woodworking sites, if you're interested.

I've never tried #2. As for #1 I think it's true, and if you have older stuff, or stuff that you've let stay open even if good at first, then it doesn't dry well and ends up sticking to everything. (Eg. I stack my stones on my stone shelf, and then 2 days later go to remove a couple and they're stuck together. *!!@!-*!) If so, then either you have to Atoma-off the old stuff and re-do, or just re-coat with fresher shellac.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1408478213.434217.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	24502
    My new Coticule- very nice stone in a great quality. I 've got the Belgian Blue as well- it's not so fast, but quite good on SS knives. Good with Naguras.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1408521102.999866.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	24509Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1408521116.688564.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	24510
    And a new brick for my Tennen Toishi House 😜😜✌️!
    Yaginoshima Suita- not often to see.. Fine, very quick, hard- all as i love ! 😎
    Now waiting for Nakayama Kiita delivery.. One more Nakayama, one more Kiita.. For Nakayama wall!!

I got the 'Red Aoto' now. Maksim packed it in a cool JNS branded box, nice touch. From the looks i'm a bit underwhelmed now. It does look nothing like in the pictures. It's much darker, more brown overall, yellow-ish brown in the middle and red-ish brown on the sides. Don't misunderstand, it's still a nice stone, but just not even close to what i was expecting from the pictures.
    Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by TaJ View Post
    I got the 'Red Aoto' now. From the looks i'm a bit underwhelmed now. It does look nothing like in the pictures. It's much darker, more brown overall, yellow-ish brown in the middle and red-ish brown on the sides. ... a nice stone, but just not even close to what i was expecting from the pictures.
    I just got one like that too (not from JNS). Nice red Shobu in the photos, and your typical brown Kyoto finisher in real life. Luckily, it's still a very nice stone and reddish on the sides.

Truth is, when you're buying Kyoto-mined stones, which includes Atagoyama (ie. the red aoto) the vast majority are brown, brown, brown. So then the price jumps up if there's a bit of red, some renge, karasu or kiita - but you will pay for the appearance, even if the quality is no different. C'est la vie.

I see, i guess we need to manage our expectations Well, i'm happy with the stone and the looks now. My provious post was right after unpacking, i should have given it some more time before posting. The trick is just to let the stone stand on its own, without comparing it to the pictures. It's diverse enough in colour and has some nice details as well. Tomorrow i'll look at it in bright daylight and guess I'll be 'daylighted'
    Tom.

My red aoto just arrived too. Very nice JNS branded box with a fitted foam lining. Took barely two days from Denmark to Australia! Excellent service from Maksim, as usual

The stone is very uniform and a perfectly regular shape. A real user, and very nice to look at, so I'm very happy

who gives a @#$%@#% how it looks, how is it in use!??