Page 45 of 65 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: J-Nat Club

oh i get the aesthetic preferences in most things, but stone to me is just a stone, for me it's purely a functional item. then again i'm the odd ball in that i dont use jnats for 'blade finish' effects. my knives can have ugly scratch marks all over the place and i would think nothing of it, only that it cuts the way i want it to.

by the way, do you know if there is anything similar to ikarashi, just slightly more refined? also would be nice if it were bigger too.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    Haha Excellent point. I guess some people can do this.
    Haha: be kind, be good, be friendly - that's all! Almost .

All 3 stones look great, by the way. How does the Aiiwatani compare to the suita?[/QUOTE]

Sorry for answering here- the question wasn't addressed to me, but.. Using the Aiiwatani for a while, may i add my two coins? My Aiiwatani is very fine and quite hard, i've chosen it from 3-4 other Aiiwatani stones, they were all good, some harder, some slower etc. Mine, though being not perfectly square, has great features. It's very fine, so i use it after Suita, not instead of. Also after Ohira Suitas, even after Okudo Suita. Same finesse ( +-) like Nakayama. Frankly speaking, i grab it more often, then any of my Nakayamas. I have one stone, which is finer and harder, offering even an ultimate edge, but this one is just great! And it wears out so slowly.. Great stone, really. I must admit i came to this conclusion only after some time, the Aiiwatani ( as many other stones) develops it's features while using it..

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    oh i get the aesthetic preferences in most things, but stone to me is just a stone, for me it's purely a functional item. then again i'm the odd ball in that i dont use jnats for 'blade finish' effects. my knives can have ugly scratch marks all over the place and i would think nothing of it, only that it cuts the way i want it to.

by the way, do you know if there is anything similar to ikarashi, just slightly more refined? also would be nice if it were bigger too.
    Maksim's Red Aoto. It's quick, it's fine enough, maybe with a certain gap between Ikarashi and Aoto, but.. It is not that grit as " normal" Aoto, a bit rougher, but works really great. I suppose, you would like then reddish versions, not greenish ( green is harder)

Good description of the Aiiwatani, AV. Thanks

Sorry about not getting back, Panda. But about the red aoto, I've just got (and have just tried) the one and I've kept it because I think it's one of the better RA's out there, having heard other people's experiences. However, I haven't tested it against Ikarashi for fineness (you can of course as you have one on loan). Also, I'd say that it's unsual as a natural as it's not as spash-n-go as most are, and so might not be as useful for you at work. Mine needs more water than all other stones I have do (exception: an aoto I own, and maybe an amakusa) and, though I like the slurry, it's also unusual in that it dishes a lot for a natural, probably as much as many synths do. You wouldn't want to worry about flattening at work, of course, and I think in about 2 years I've already lots at least a couple of mm off mine. However, if I recall you wanted something a bit harder than a RA anyway.

Asteger, i did not use the Aiiwatani yet, as i want to put laquer on it (even though Andrey says it may not need it). It feels much finer from the touch than the Ohira Suita, so that corresponds with Andrey's observations. Andrey, you've asked about orange when wet. When i was taking the pictures before, i also took some when wet. The water was almost already in the stone and evaporated here. It still shows the orange hue you were talking about at the right side of the stone. Note, this picture is a bit over-saturated and blue-ish in color temperature, so the magenta-red on the left is a bit overstated and the orange-red to the right a bit less visible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSF4408-Red_Aoto_Atagoyama-raw_processor.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	24529

Cheers!
    Tom.

Nice stone, TaJ
    I liked it as well- but can't have them all!! .
    I do not protect all my stones any more- at least some of hardest - finest finishers remain unlacquered. I mean some Okudo, Nakayama, as well as Aiiwatani or Ohira. I don't see any difference. Though all my other stones ( other Ohira Suitas, Nakayamas, Shinden etc etc etc, as well as big Naguras) have been properly lacquered. It helps a lot on softer stones, of course, and on stones with higher water absorbtion.
    Maybe i'll change my shellack - i intend to get the more " invisible" solution, to keep the natural stone color as much as possible. No technical reason for it, just pure estheticism. .

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey V View Post
    ... I do not protect all my stones ... It helps a lot on softer stones, of course, and on stones with higher water absorbtion. Maybe i'll change my shellack - i intend to get the more " invisible" solution, to keep the natural stone color as much as possible. No technical reason for it, just pure estheticism. .
    Def, helps on the softer ones of course and the ones that take more water. But of course also with the ones with layers all over the place, like some finishers and normal aoto. Also helps practically, as it's easier to find space to dry them. (The sides/bottom) won't be drying, so you can leave them in more places.

As for colour I just use clear, or sometimes 'amber' for darker stones.

Taj - it's a nice-looking stone to me. No reason, I think, not to try it before lacquering as it won't suddenly disintegrate. If you're worried just take it easy, then lacquer when you have time and materials. I only started lacquering recently, and never any problems before.

Yeah, Asteger
    I do the same.
    Only one of my Ohira Suitas remains " as it is" . Only one Okudo, one Aiiwatani, 2-3 Nakayamas. The others have Urushi or shellack on it.
    The softer Jnats need of course nice protection, they take too much water ..
    My stones are all over the place . It makes my wife crazy, mais c'est la vie ..
    I should visit the shop to get the bleached shellack - for now i use the amber version. It's nice, but now i want to keep the natural look.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey V View Post
    I should visit the shop to get the bleached shellack - for now i use the amber version. It's nice, but now i want to keep the natural look.
    My 'clear' version still has some colour. I guess you could say it's 'off-white' and, actually, I doubt anything completely colourless is available anyway, and the little bit of colour it adds is still good. Also, to me stones usually look best when they're wet & good lacquering does make give them this look.

Quick photo for fun: coarse and medium stones, all lacquered

Of course Asteger, you know that we now expect a short summay to these stones
    Me, i'd like to know more especially about the two stacked ones.

Cheers!
    Tom.