Quantcast
J-Nat Club - Page 47
Page 47 of 55 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: J-Nat Club

look @ that block 'o cheese!!

I like the cheese but I'm more interested in the camo one beneath it. I've always wanted to sharpen knives while sitting in a duck blind.....

Does it float?
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    Sorry, AndreyV - sounds like you've had bad experiences with lower grit naturals. But you can't build your home entirely out of Nakayama either. There are good ones, and more uniform than you've experienced. Don't put those Amakusa down in the basement unless they're poor quality.

As for scratch patterns, I think non-polished uniform patterns can look great as a finish on wide-bevel knives, a deba for example. 'Perfect' fine finishes can also look good, but not all the time or it becomes boring.

Just checked - I don't see any wild Amakusa on Fine Tools, but the 'site big brother wants not to be mentioned' has something similar, though I wouldn't bother even though they're cheap.
    Asteger, do you believe in your words yourself?? . Do you really think i don't have and i never tried out good quality in coarse Jnats ?? Man, .
    I have them, i just , as told before, never allow my knives to the that dull to start sharpening from the very coarse stone. To me a Chu Nagura as a big stone is enough to start. Or Tsushima. Or Maksim's Aotos. I have one very cute coarse stone , i know it as Ebitsu, it's like Natsuya, soft and quick. But again: to use when really needed. You say- a perfect finish is boring?? he he. Should i tell you, then every different fine stone leaves different finish on different steels?? Should i tell you that there is a big difference between " to saw" tge food and " to cut" it? Many guys prefer toothy edge, but not me. I don't lije to have any juice from the product you cut- for this you need the sharp knife.
    But even if you prefer a toothy edge- an edge after Chu/Aoto is still a balance between toothy and fine.
    You know for sure, that using higher grit fine Jnats you reinforce your edge , actually without loosing too much metal. Why to mention only ultimate finish without this extremely important feature?? This is the main reason if using different fine Jnats. And again: every steel needs it's own sharpening source. You never achieve same result on same stones with different steels. This is that so-called " perfect marriage" between the stone and the steel. You know this.
    AND: between the Amakusa and Nakayama there are A LOT of great stones!! .
    And really- for rough sharpening some coarse synthetic stones ( i prefer Shapton Glas) are just better, more consistent, give clear expectable result. The difference begins from ca 1000 and up grits. Though some guys are happy with 180 as a last stone. Starting with 120 grit. Brrrrrr.
    BTW- bought yesterday another Shige Gyuto Western with rare Tamamoku handle. Will be a fancy stuff with same-wood Saya . Couldn't resist... These knives deserve some real care!

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    look @ that block 'o cheese!!
    Absolutely. Aged cheddar, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    I like the cheese but I'm more interested in the camo one beneath it. I've always wanted to sharpen knives while sitting in a duck blind..... Does it float?
    Dave, I haven't the foggiest what you're on about

Ger, That's not an uncommon reaction to some of my attempts at humor.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    Ger, That's not an uncommon reaction to some of my attempts at humor.
    It's okay. Toishi jokes are a very esoteric area.

daveb is somehow influenced by something completely different.
    Tom.

Just wanted to show my 2 small coticules (and a "nagura" )

Not that popular but I do like the edge I get from them.

They are both from “La Dressante" layer. The spotted one feels a bit smoother in use than the tiger one.

They're rather small, but work for me (only use them as finishers and to touch up). I really enjoy using them.
    I still have to visit the quarry Ardennes-Coticule once, they're only a 2 hour drive away...

Quote Originally Posted by riba View Post
    Just wanted to show my 2 small coticules (and a "nagura" )

Not that popular but I do like the edge I get from them.

They are both from “La Dressante" layer. The spotted one feels a bit smoother in use than the tiger one.

They're rather small, but work for me (only use them as finishers and to touch up). I really enjoy using them.
    I still have to visit the quarry Ardennes-Coticule once, they're only a 2 hour drive away...
    Congrats
    I should visit Maurice as well. He is very friendly and helpful
    I have all types of his stones as well. The Coticules are good, i think the clear versions are better. The strange point reg these stones is that it cuts and feels more like artificial stone rather then natural . Because of garnets- they are very hard and do not break down. It feels almost like a very fine diamond plate with sone slurry- bizarre feeling. It cuts really quick. The only one finisher i know which can be used as only 1 stone from " zero to hero". It takes sone time, but less then any Suita. On the other hand the edge stays toothy, you never gets that fine feeling as good Jnats, so , IMHO, belgian stones are great to have in the collection, but they do not over-perform Jnats.
    The retention, BTW, is like from synthetics, not Jnats. It doesn't reinforce the edge in that way..
    But still very nice stones. Important thing: even a small stone is enough to sharpen a good knife, this is a big difference to a Jnat. And my other remark- it's the only stone which works with it's Nagura differently, than without it. Because the slurry you get does not break down ( again because of small garnets)

Yeah, I didn't have the pleasure yet to experience a good jnat for kitchen knives. (I only have a shoubudani (type 100) from Maxim (for razors), which is rather hard and I am still learning to use it. Not sure I can use it for kitchen knives). A good jnat is on my wish list, but unfortunately I don't have a budget for it now

The coticules are indeed surprisingly fast. I use them after a 1K or 3K synthetic stone and they refine the edge pretty fast. And you are right, the edge they give is pretty toothy (sometimes I strop with compounds to further refine that edge). They're great value for money IMO (I paid 40 USD for the spotted stone).