Quantcast
J-Nat Club - Page 48
Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3846474849 LastLast

Thread: J-Nat Club

Look cool, and definitely different compared to what I'm used to. I've never tried anyting non-Japanese like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    Look cool, and definitely different compared to what I'm used to. I've never tried anyting non-Japanese like these.
    Then ask me
    I've tried the major part of all known non- Japanese stones .
    40$ is a price!! Mine cost much more . ..
    But bought directly from Maurice. And very uniform, the spots and veins influence the cutting quality of the stone a lot. So 40$ is a gift!

Quote Originally Posted by riba View Post
    Yeah, I didn't have the pleasure yet to experience a good jnat for kitchen knives. (I only have a shoubudani (type 100) from Maxim (for razors), which is rather hard and I am still learning to use it. Not sure I can use it for kitchen knives). A good jnat is on my wish list, but unfortunately I don't have a budget for it now

The coticules are indeed surprisingly fast. I use them after a 1K or 3K synthetic stone and they refine the edge pretty fast. And you are right, the edge they give is pretty toothy (sometimes I strop with compounds to further refine that edge). They're great value for money IMO (I paid 40 USD for the spotted stone).
    Lucky you ....
    40$ is a gift. Even though the spots and veins are not desirable for such stones. La Dressante is quite hard, better for tools and razors, but still ok for the knives. Compound's stropping is great after it, especially with white Dialux. The Jnats will surprise you! But better to try them before. Nothing is that quick as good Coticule. I'm not a fan of it, just facing the truth.
    Congrats encore!!

yeah, I knew that the spots and veins aren't really desirable, but the stones were calling my name (guess you know what I mean )... I rather like the look, appreciate that they were mined nearby and enjoy the edge I get from them (I enjoy sharpening on them more than sharpening on my rika 5k / shapton glass 6K/8K).

Once I will try a nice Jnat, always nice to have something to look out to (But unfortunately not this year - just ordered a heiji gyuto )

Quote Originally Posted by riba View Post
    yeah, I knew that the spots and veins aren't really desirable, but the stones were calling my name (guess you know what I mean )... I rather like the look, appreciate that they were mined nearby and enjoy the edge I get from them (I enjoy sharpening on them more than sharpening on my rika 5k / shapton glass 6K/8K).

Once I will try a nice Jnat, always nice to have something to look out to (But unfortunately not this year - just ordered a heiji gyuto )
    I understand you really well, man!
    I know that feeling, believe me 😜😜😜
    The most important thing is you enjoy it- no matter what somebody says.
    To share your joy : just bought one more Shigefusa Yanagi Kitaeji 300... Right after a very nice Shige Gyuto Western with Dan's handle in rare Tamamoku Japanese Cedar. We should love ourselves 😎😎✌️.
    Just finished sharpening 3 Kato ( i took my time - ca 2,5 hours to enjoy it, from coarse to damn fine, on different stones. It's so relaxing...)
    Nice proper sharpening is so peaceful ... The knife could be sharpened during 5 min, but this long proper sharpening.. is something special. 😜✌️

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1409772002.528278.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	24642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1409772023.565835.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	24643Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1409772039.224732.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	24644
    My new Atagoyama Red Nashiji - full size- just bought from JNS- great stone. Will try it out as soon as i will get it .

This one looks beautiful! Very curious about you'll find it to be

Quote Originally Posted by apathetic View Post
    This one looks beautiful! Very curious about you'll find it to be
    Easy: having a trusted vendor talk to him - he is " trusted" because you trust him 😜✌️. You should know his scale, he should know yours. Then it works.

J-Nat Club

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1409829504.613090.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	24648Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1409829514.162074.jpg 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	24649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1409829524.097478.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	24650Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1409829532.512650.jpg 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	24651
    My new top- quality greenish " Red Aoto" from Maksim. With nice Kanmaki, very consistent, bit harder then normally but still very soft. Full size- very nice to work with! I have 2 more bought before- this one is a real upgrade! More expensive- but really better! The other 2 Red Aotos will find new masters . Actually- already found 😜😜✌️✌️
    Thanks, Maksim!!🙏

@ Andrey V: wow, you are going strong... ))

Do you have any advice on making a hard Shuobudani type 100 work for knife sharpening (I have Asano Tenjyou and Asano Mejiro Nagura's ) or should I accept that I bought them for razor sharpening?