Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kikuryu?

Kikuryu?

I was wondering if someone could shed some light as to what exactly makes kikuryu so unique and different from typical damascus? Like the differences in heat treat, durability, layers, type of steel, etc. Also, does anyone has any pointers on how to make the patterns come alive a bit more would be very helpful as well. Ive attached a pic of a lil polishing I did tonight, still trying to get my technique down. Thanks!

I just answered same question in email
    Kikuryu is different mixture then damascus or kitaeji, Kato uses iron and steel for cladding.
    Heat treatment is same as workhorse knives. but cladding is bit harder then his other knives
    Pattern is supost to be very light with many layers and not as visible as damascus.

Thanks for your input Maksim!

Kikuryu?

Yours looks a lot the the polished one I got… you can see larger layers (darker lines) but when you look closer under the correct lighting you can see the subtle layers. I want I get another one and a workhorse too

Quote Originally Posted by tjangula View Post
    Yours looks a lot the the polished one I got… you can see larger layers (darker lines) but when you look closer under the correct lighting you can see the subtle layers. I want I get another one and a workhorse too
    Picture of said knife

Quote Originally Posted by tjangula View Post
    why? because it is a kato or what?.

I own two kato knifes one workhorse one in his specs. And the only thing that makes them unique is the grind, nothing else. All the other specs are just like all other japanese knives...... just 50% of you can get.

Btw. i know if i say/write something like this, some people might get angry, but it is just what it is, just a japanese knive, dedicateted for very carfully pushcut motion.

greets Sebastian.

Well if that's really what you believe then you're the fool for spending so much money on them. I've been on this forum three years and I'm glad to finally hear the truth, all Japanese knives are actually the same! Wow, I guess we're all way off here. Thanks for the enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpchef View Post
    why? because it is a kato or what?.

I own two kato knifes one workhorse one in his specs. And the only thing that makes them unique is the grind, nothing else. All the other specs are just like all other japanese knives...... just 50% of you can get.

Btw. i know if i say/write something like this, some people might get angry, but it is just what it is, just a japanese knive, dedicateted for very carfully pushcut motion.

greets Sebastian.
    'Grief is a hone to a hard mind.'

This is exactly what i have expected!

I think the Kato knives are very good, don`T get me wrong..... But as other Japanese knives just good for the dedicated task. Don`t get me wrong i love especially my Kato Shirogami gyuto, this one really kicks butt!. Compared to my other Japanese knives (Yoshihiro, Tanaka, Doi, Togashi) the katos have way better edge retention and are quite stable. Thats for shure, but compared to western semi custom/custom knives they will loose the most competition.

They just are what they are, push cut dedicated knives...... Like the traditional ones... and yes all of them are quite comparable.

Greets Sebastian.

So you are saying that they have a nice grind and very good edge retention and are stable. And you poke fun at people who want them?

I don't really understand why you have to jump into a thread and turn the discussion into something else entirely.
    Don't drink out of ornamental ponds in Tiergarten. You will get sick.

I just wan`T to say, they are good knives compared to other japanese ones, maybe shigs can compare to this kind of quality, nothing else (that i know). Japanese traditonal forging technique, good quality (but it can be made way better, with matching steel and knowledge). If i want a real workhorse, i would choose a ZKRamer Carbon or a custom made by a german blacksmith or some of the fantastic bladesmiths in USA, and never ever a Japanese knive.

I got many Japanese knives, not for my business, just for a relaxed homecooking, nothing else.

Greets SEbastian.