Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1k or 800?

1k or 800?

I'm thinking of getting some of the JNS synths. I'm thinking the 300, the red aoto, and then either the 800 or 1k. I'm sharpening mostly carbon and the odd stainless job for a friend. Which would you prefer in that sort of progression?

I haven't tried the 1000, but I have the 800 and love it. For wide bevel, carbon clad knives, I've found nothing better. Cuts fast, wears slowly, great feel, flawless finish for its grit. I can't recall trying any stainless on it, though, so I can't comment on how it works there.

They are both very good and close in grit. I think you should consider this: The 1000 is splash’n go and the 800 needs abut 10 min of soaking. The 800 leaves a good foundation for a nice kasumi finish. I don’t know about the 1000 in this regard.
    - Kim

The thing is - it is hard to judge what you will like. Both of the stone are great, but I have heard comments from people that really like one or the other, or, do not like them quite as much. You really need to try them out.

If you go for a kasumi - than the only thing that does not make sens is to use soft coarse & medium stone and then switch to harder finishing stones. The point is - the softer the lower grint stone is, the more it will mask low spots on the bevels. Moving up to finer stones just to discover the mistakes that the finer stones is too slow to take out is just not practical.

So for a kasumi a combination of 300, 800 and Red Aoto would make more sense to me. I am extrapolating here what I have heard about these stones - I only have the 300 out the three.

i realy love the 300 , the 800, but the red aoto .... nope... but i love the bue one.
    i also have the 1K ( maybe an old one, i don't know , 4 or 5 years) and i realy love this one, but for sharpening not for working on kasumi.

Quote Originally Posted by bryan03 View Post
    i realy love the 300 , the 800, but the red aoto .... nope... but i love the bue one.
    i also have the 1K ( maybe an old one, i don't know , 4 or 5 years) and i realy love this one, but for sharpening not for working on kasumi.
    Bryan, how is the JNS blue aoto? Isn't it too hard for kasumi?

For now, kasumi isn't a concern. I don't own a single-beveled knife worth mentioning - I had plans to add a yanagi to fill that hole, but I think it'll be the Itinomonn suji instead. Based on the comments so far, I think I'm leaning towards the 1k. Thanks!

edit: And I'm curious, Bryan, why didn't you like the red aoto?

Matus , yes a bit "hard" , but i love it , just before Hakka. ( IMHO)

Konge,I do not know how to explain in English, it gets very quickly fouled/dirty , but just in some places, small black points that make the polishing very unpleasant for me...

and it's broken in two....

I have the old soaking JNS1K and it is awesome. The 800 is nice too. A lot softer though.
    The JNS "blue" aoto is currently my favorite finishing stone.

Lars

Well, there you go, making me doubt the aoto choice. I'll have to give it a good think. Are they fairly interchangeable, or is it apples and pears?