Quantcast
J-Nat Club - Page 15
Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: J-Nat Club

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    That's an impressive set of stones! I guess a few more years of your jnats addiction and you'd have enough materials to build a house out of those bricks
    Thanks, and what an idea! Wow... Imagine: a tennen toishi house...

Quote Originally Posted by maxim View Post
    i am bit surpriced that Nakayama still have kanji on it
    Yeah, I've been slow with the razor thing. But now that I've taken a photo, yes, time to remove that kanji.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    Nothing happening on this thread for a month, and I also haven't noticed much jnat talk on the forums recently. So, to remind everyone that jnats are a lot more interesting than synthetics, thought I'd post a photo. This is basically my current collection where I stack it beside the kitchen.

This is indeed very impressive

Good selection, nice Naguras as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey V View Post
    Good selection, nice Naguras as well!
    Thanks. Actually, I forgot and left out a few - a bigger Botan and 2 Tsushima, large and small. Very happy with the large Tenjyou I got off of BST from Mainaman; to think that was available for 1 or 2 months without a buyer... ridiculous! As for the small Asano set, very handy and often overlooked. Using nagura is a great asset. Also, small sets aren't hard to get at all - and can be cheap.

Yeh, yeh, i say always: it's better to be rich and healthy , then poor and ill - to have a lot of stones in better then not to have them! I agree, the sets are always good, i 've got one from Maksim last week. I like to use Tomonaguras a lot, same on same ( as to me) feel always smoother, finer, better. And sometimes i like to proceed on harder good quality stone with different Naguras in progression rather then change of the finishing stone.

Tell me pls, if you do like your Tsushima Naguras- i am still thinking, if i do really need also Tsushima. As a JNat fan for sure, but really?? With all the Naguras i have.. No, really, even being JNats nuts

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    Very happy with the large Tenjyou I got off of BST from Mainaman; to think that was available for 1 or 2 months without a buyer... ridiculous!
    I believe that thread is still going with a few stones left...in all honesty, if I knew what progression those stones went in and a little bit more about them I would have been paying attention to and jumping on them, but I dont, and have never met anyone in person who does, so unless I ever get showed in person what the stones mean, they have 0 meaning to me. I do have an ohira suita around the 10k grit level, but I dont even know how to talk about that stone in jnat terms.
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey V View Post
    Tell me pls, if you do like your Tsushima Naguras- i am still thinking, if i do really need also Tsushima. As a JNat fan for sure, but really?? With all the Naguras i have.. No, really, even being JNats nuts
    Actually, there's no Tsushima in the photo above. They'd be black. I have a small Tsushima for slurry (not shown in photo) and I've sold a large JNS one on BST in the past. Large ones are very good - uniform, without any problems, harder and so and razor dudes like them I think. But feel is important to me and it wasn't really my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by quantumcloud509 View Post
    In all honesty, if I knew what progression those stones went in and a little bit more about them I would have been paying attention to and jumping on them, but I dont, and have never met anyone in person who does, so unless I ever get showed in person what the stones mean, they have 0 meaning to me. I do have an ohira suita around the 10k grit level, but I dont even know how to talk about that stone in jnat terms.
    I've never really met anyone who knows about jnats, aside from in Japan. True, it does help to be able to try many stones. On the other hand, there's lots to read and videos to watch, and then things make more sense and you develop preferences, etc, like with anything.

Ohira suita - well, suita can all be different from what I know, and so someone would have to judge themselves or rely on another's opinion or recommendation - a seller or more experienced user - or if not just cross their fingers when purchasing. (Ohira are supposed to be pretty consistent in quality, for example, though there seems to be a big price range.) Of course you'd probably use yours as a finisher, and people love fast and fine suita, especially for tools. Is yours like this? A suita would normally have 'su' or tiny holes that would aid speed, even if myself I think 'speed' is over-rated and often sales-speak - though of course a stone isn't good if it's too slow and doesn't cut either.

In my case sometimes I like non-fine coarser finishers for many knives and tasks. 'Aoto' stones, or Takashima or Hakka or Tsushima, etc, should be good for this, and not as fine as your suita. These might not erase all scratches from coarse stones, and so some might want to go finer and do this to get the finish they want. On the other hand, I've received a new deba before with a really uniform but still clear scratch pattern, and I thought it looked quite cool, and so I sometimes don't care about obliterating all signs of scratch, and deba don't need to be so fine. I like to use even coarser stones too, because they feel better to me and are more interesting than synthetics, and can help create nice scratch patterns if you want. In the photo above I've got several that are more on the bevel-setter end, a Natsuya, Iyo and 2 Ikarashi, big and small, which could be used in the space between my coarsest synthetics up to the aoto/etc stones mentioned above. Therefore, with these I can avoid touching any synthetic.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Awesome answer.
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

Thank's Asteger!
    i use several naguras in progression, but it depends really ( my experience) what steel do you have.. They all work totally different on different knives ( i do not try to open Amerika to anyone, this is the loud thinking
    I like coarser stones, i have severals, and my experience from it all says that they all are different, even if they have same names, same look etc. And that is the main sh...t!
    But , whatever... It gives completely different feeling, as any synthetic does. That's what thrills me really.
    Today i've got an Okudo Suita, a quite pretty one, but i can not manage to post a picture somehow , sorry..
    What i understand with all these Jnats stories- this is a great stuff to employ yourself with something "mystic" either then.. I really get fun from it, i like it a lot, i use it a lot, but there are the great Big Boys toys, same as many others, and i like it. The main thing is a "dance" around the mines/names/stratas etc- it's really funny! it is to take seriously into consideration, no doubt, but anyhow, this is the funny stuff! let us enjoy it!