Quantcast
J-Nat Club - Page 20
Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: J-Nat Club

Quote Originally Posted by JDA_NC View Post
    I like this stone a lot!! Where would it be in your progression?
    if you mean Kiiro Sunashi Suita - this is a fine finisher - so the progression would be ( depends on how dull the knife is- but to start from a very dull one) : Amakusa-Bunsui-Aoto(soft)-Aoto( the hard one from Maksim)-Sunashi- (if i need the extremely fine edge)-Nakayama/Gobyoyama
    Instead of Sunashi there coule be any other good finisher with in lv 2,5-4 ( i have some to choose from) - it depends on steel type, of course.
    That's it!

2 Ikarashi: The big one is new and the smaller is my original, now sold. I like these a lot and was hoping for a larger one, but didn't know they existed in the same quality until recently, and then - voilà! A stroke of luck, and easily a type-24. They're both quite blue in this photo because they'd been in water, which really brings out the colour.

I've already lapped the top and bottom of the big one somewhat as these come rough and not ready for use, and I've started to smooth the ends and sides to improve the shape and get rid of the weathered stains and dark stuff. The mine these are from closed over 50 years ago, and so you can imagine how these must have been sitting around somewhere in storage unloved. It's going to take some more time, but the new one should end up looking like a large light blue luminescent marble brick by the time I'm finished.

My new Shinden Suita- great stone!!!! and some new Uchugumori with some Yoshinogami, new Tomonaguras

and my new Shigefusa Kitaeji !!

I'd love to try out a good Shinden.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    I'd love to try out a good Shinden.
    This one is awesome... Very smooth, all the visible lines are non-toxic, the stone is semi-transparent ( it is actually not, but you get this feeling, similar to Okudo Suita), and has a lovely color when wet.. I have invested some time till i've got it, i tell you. But this one is just an outstanding performer.
    I'm "dancing around" a beautuful Nakayama Karasu, and a nice one Nakayama Kiita.. If i 'll manage it- i'll show it for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey V View Post
    I'm "dancing around" a beautuful Nakayama Karasu, and a nice one Nakayama Kiita.. If i 'll manage it- i'll show it for sure!
    Well, your stone exploits are the stuff of dreams!

vintage aoto from maxims personal collection

tried it out on a stupid henckles I had in the back of the kitchen drawer and this thing raises a burr like no other best stone I have hands down THANKS MAXIM

Quote Originally Posted by CoqaVin View Post
    vintage aoto from maxims personal collection - tried it out on a stupid henckles I had in the back of the kitchen drawer and this thing raises a burr like no other best stone I have hands down THANKS MAXIM
    More photos? More info? Sounds great

what would you like to know?

I asked Maxim what I needed and he said it would do better than an Ikarashi and I am rather happy and from Denmark to the US so fast great service!

Quote Originally Posted by CoqaVin View Post
    what would you like to know? I asked Maxim what I needed and he said it would do better than an Ikarashi and I am rather happy and from Denmark to the US so fast great service!
    Different stones: Ikarashi are not meant as finishers and aoto are, I think, favourite traditional finishers for kitchen knives. Aoto also generally have unknown origins, so I'm curious if more is known about this one and which mine it is, etc. (Often this isn't known so no problem, as long as it's good.)