Page 26 of 65 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: J-Nat Club

Quote Originally Posted by banjo1071 View Post
    Hi there I am almost certain, that this stone ist rubbish, but maybe its not....
    Hi B - I've bought a couple stones that are similar to this, but not enough to really research them that much. I've been more of a med-stone person of late, anyway. Vinster has bought some like this and maybe he could also weigh in with a thought. Maxim sells similar stones as Nakayama Maruichi I think, but I don't think you could ask him as obviously this isn't one of his.

It's an older finishing stone. I'm not going to make out all the kanji right now, but can look again tomorrow if you like as I like to solve these things. The stamps are saying it's a Kyoto toishi, good quality, honyama and a layered/slate stone, and so a finisher. I'd assume a tomae. There are stones like this around and I'm not sure how old they are, but they sell anywhere from about Y15,000 up to really high prices, depending. Not sure if people would buy these for tools or razors or knives in previous decades, but you can expect it to be harder or hard and a finisher. I think in the old days, and sometimes still now, it was normal to stamp stones a lot with these guarantees and affix stickers identifying the seller which, like the certified Sakai craftsmanship stickers on some knives, owners are reluctant to remove, or at least it seems important that they photograph stones for sale like this. It'd be described as 'vintage' no doubt and, oh, it's small in the top photo but I think I may see the Shoubu kanji on the stone which would give its specific origin if correct. I'm sure it's a good quality stone, but its value would depend on the price and what you want to use it for. PM me the listing link and I can take a closer look if you don't want to list it publicly.

Thanks for the more than excelent info. The auction is already finished, I payed around 40$ (+shipping)....More info would be dearly appreciated, though

Thanks a lot again

Benjamin

J-Nat Club

Quote Originally Posted by TaJ View Post
    I see, ok. Well, i am interested with what you all come up with. Which of the laquers we talk about are clear, meaning translucent?
    Actually both. Urushi ( is clear, but not white, rare, hard to find, hard to work with, high allergic risk), the shellacks are clear as well, depends on which type of flakes you take ( from almost white and light amber to dark brown). We need the de-waxed version, is more water- resistant. Dissolved in pure spiritus. 1/3- standard proportion. No risk, easy to get, good value for money

Aye, thanks for the info. It would seem that shellac is a practical choice. I would use Urushi if i could get it and would really know how to use it. I guess the risk for allergic-like reactions is only there when working with it, as opposed to when it's dried out?
    Tom.

I would use Urushi if i could get it and would really know how to use it. I guess the risk for allergic-like reactions is only there when working with it, as opposed to when it's dried out?
    Yes, as you know I have some Urushi (in Japan, haven't picked it up yet) and haven't actually used it, but I hear the same thing - allergic when you work with it. Myself, growing up I didn't have reactions to plants and things when rummaging in fields and forests, compared to others, and so I wasn't worried about having a reaction from urushi.

Cashew lacquer, which I think you can't ship internationally by air (and so is also hard to get), I think doesn't have allergic properties. But who knows!

Aye, thanks for the info. It would seem that shellac is a practical choice. I would use Urushi if i could get it and would really know how to use it. I guess the risk for allergic-like reactions is only there when working with it, as opposed to when it's dried out?
    Yeh, no problems when dry, it becomes one of the most beautiful finishes in the world.
    Just to tell you one story: ones standing in the botanic garden i saw this tree (Toxicodendron vernicifluum, or former, Rhus, the asiatic lacquer tree, as you see even from the latin name, is toxic) , which was not alike others behind the barrier. I asked why, is it really so dangerous?? The answer was- yes, you will burn your skin touching it- the matter is that the urushiol, which is highly allergic and toxic ( urushi - urushiol. Check the internet for some images :you will see nice bubbles on the skin etc. you can try, but who knows? This is nothing about being grown in the field/ forest or in the city( though , of course, the nature helps a lot) just the stuff is dangerous, otherwise why not to get it from the local store?? Cashew lacquer is highly flammable, that's why no one courier takes it for transportation. So the shellack( which is natural as well) can be a very good alternative to both, to get easily almost from any painter shop. Is asiatic as well, more direction India, not important, and can be prepared for you needs from the flakes by yourself. 1 part of flakes( better unwaxed, no matter which color, not important for the stone, this is not the furniture), 3 parts of pure spiritus, shake well in the covered bottle, leave to stay for 24 hours until dissolved almost completely, shaking from time to time, use it (6 to 12 months) keep away from the sun light. Apply filtered through some clear fabrics with a cotton ball inside- some lacquer inside- fold-push-the filtered out lacquer should be applied on the clear stone. Easy. Let it dry out for 24 hours. There is the possibility to get the prepared obe version, can be bought also under the name " French Varnish" or " French Lacquer"- " pure shellack ready- to-use". Like that . We need to protect the stone, nothing else . It works.

Andrey, thank you for the good explanations. I've looked up the urushiol effects, looks nasty. Shellac looks even better now.
    Tom.

Andrey, thank you for the good explanations. I've looked up the urushiol effects, looks nasty. Shellac looks even better now.
    My pleasure !
    Tomorrow i'll get the shellack from Rustins - i'll try it out and come back with some report

Cool. I received the Ohira Suita i got from Asteger. It's a very nice, solid peace of rock and i want to give it some laquer bling.

Tom.

Cool. I received the Ohira Suita i got from Asteger. It's a very nice, solid peace of rock and i want to give it some laquer bling.

Don't forget to show it here! Glad for you, i love Ohiras, i have almost all types of them. ( Suitas, Tomae, Uchigumori ets). Great stones. Congratulations!!