Page 149 of 150 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150 LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 1496

Thread: J-Nat Club

Couple weeks old ... 2x vintage Ohira Renge Suita. According to the seller these were mined at least 65 years ago if not longer.

Size compared to JNS 1000:

Cheers
    Thomas

Very nice Tommy!

Holy s... They look awesome

I have yet to order any natural stones, but I wanted to ask if and how the natural cracks in the given stones affect sharpening? Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by xantiema View Post
    I have yet to order any natural stones, but I wanted to ask if and how the natural cracks in the given stones affect sharpening? Thanks in advance
    The crack in the stone may ( and will) lead to chipping of the blade.
    The more finer/ harder the stone is, the higher is the risk. That's why one should round the edges of the crack( same after digging out the toxic lines)
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by xantiema View Post
    What do you mean by natural cracks?

E.g. the lines like in my stones shown above can be very diffrent. In this case they are totally harmless and u cannot feel them at all. There are also toxic lines that may have inclussions of harder material that can scratch/harm the blade, these can be resolved by digging them out.

The broken corners should be round off like the sides as Andrey said, otherwhise their only effect is reducing the stones sharpening surface.

Cheers

Agree with tommybig
    Cracks are cracks, toxic lines are toxic lines as already explained.
    Btw- when there are broken corners- i round them intensively up( i always round up one side more then another anyway) and use for aggressive or precise sharpening. It's the pro-way for sword sharpeners. It should be used carefully, knowing what to do, otherwise there's a risk to break the edge.
    🏻

Thanks guys, that pretty much sums up all I wanted to know :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey V View Post
    Agree with tommybig
    Cracks are cracks, toxic lines are toxic lines as already explained.
    Btw- when there are broken corners- i round them intensively up( i always round up one side more then another anyway) and use for aggressive or precise sharpening. It's the pro-way for sword sharpeners. It should be used carefully, knowing what to do, otherwise there's a risk to break the edge.
    🏻
    I like using the broken corner on a stone to get in behind the edge or into a low spot. Especially useful if it's the top right corner for a right hander

Quote Originally Posted by Badgertooth View Post
    I like using the broken corner on a stone to get in behind the edge or into a low spot. Especially useful if it's the top right corner for a right hander
    Yeahhhhh...🏻🏻🏻