Quantcast
Efficiency and Boring Tasks
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Efficiency and Boring Tasks

Efficiency and Boring Tasks

I once watched Rachael Ray - fast meals. I'm not convinced that she is a great cook but I liked the idea. Much of prep can be boring so the challenge is how efficient you can be. I watched Theory slice 500 grape tomatoes horizontally - never thought of that. I was just shredding chicken for chicken salad; its slow. I've tried one fork, two forks, fingers, fish tweezers.

Can you guys who do large quantity everyday share some secrets for the rest of us? Is there a fast way to shred chicken? and other tasks that seem to be labor intensive?
    s.

PS: Chicken salad is for tonight's Bryn Mawr concert, Dar Williams. I love this; $10 gets you to a twilight concert with dogs (of course), picnics, wine, good music, and great weather. These community concerts are drawing some great talent: Chris Smithers, Tom Chapin, Richie Havens (remember him?), Jim Boggia....okay not super duper names but a great time.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

The key to shredding chicken quickly is to know where the grain of the meat is and where it changes. After a while it's not so tedious.

Also, if you let the chicken fill up the tines of the fork and don't clean it out, it works better.

Hobart for pulled chicken. Does not work so well for pulled pork.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Richie Havens (remember him?)
    Sure do...although I wish I could say, "No, man. He was WAY before my time!"

Sounds like a party to me!

much more awesomer
    I shred chicken in my KA Pro 600 at home with the beater blade. Easy-peasy.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Can you guys who do large quantity everyday share some secrets for the rest of us?
    Pro tip: do it while it's still scalding hot, as it gets progressively fussier the further it chills. We do maybe 4-5 yardbirds a day for tacos and burritos and stuff--just pull 'em right out of the stock they cook in, and shred them with our fingers in a deep hotel pan while they're still dripping wet and steaming. It literally takes only a few seconds.

Ouch!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Yeah I've always done it hot too. Pork same way. Just double glove and it's no big deal.

-AJ

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I use tongues when I do shredding. If you cooked it long enough it should fall apart no matter what. It has to be hot though.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    I use tongues when I do shredding. If you cooked it long enough it should fall apart no matter what. It has to be hot though.
    Falling apart chicken? Pork maybe.

+ Reply to Thread