Japanese Knives Yoshihiro becoming Gesshin Uraku

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBroida

KKF Vendor
Founding Member
Reaction score
We are currently in the process of transitioning our Yoshihiro knives to Gesshin Uraku. This is being done for a number of reasons. First and foremost is to stop the confusion with regard to the lines we were selling and the lines other companies were selling. We got a lot of questions about our white #2 single bevel knives from them and how they were different from the Yoshihiro Kasumi line being sold elsewhere. The line we carry (now Gesshin Uraku) had better fit and finish, better consistency of grind, less issues with warping, less high and low spots, and in my experience a better heat treatment... Kind of like the difference between kasumi and hon-kasumi.

In addition, this change is an opportunity for us to improve quality control and maintain a line with the quality of knives we feel comfortable with.

Anyways, you can find the Gesshin Uraku knives on our website here:
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives/gesshin-uraku.html

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/gesshin-1/gesshin-uraku.html

Some old links to our yoshihiro knives may also no longer work, so if you cant find what you are looking for, please just ask.

Thanks.

-Jon

Then i'll have to get a hell of a lot to drink so i can lose my card.

Are you sure you haven't already had a hell of a lot to drink? The prices are very reasonable.

Are you sure you haven't already had a hell of a lot to drink? The prices are very reasonable.

In fact, they are too reasonable. But i must resist.

Jon, which steels are the stainless made in? And hardened to?

the stainless wa-gyutos, wa-suji, and wa-petty are a moly stainless at 60hrc. Its a tough steel that resists chipping well and has good edge retention.

yup... gotta take new pictures. Some are already going out with the new kanji, but it will take a little time to switch them all over.

This is cool. I was planning on getting a Deba but am glad that I waited. I want the new engraving!

I want my gyuto re-engraved! Congrats, Jon. Gesshin roolz.

:bat:Ok everyone needs to buy them all out, before next mo. I'm surprised these are still there.

After a very helpful and informative talk with Jon yesterday ive decided, at his recommendation, to really consider these for a solid performing gyuto.

So, I'd like to ask any of you who're using them to give any feedback or comments. How do they take an edge, what the grind is like, feel on the stones, etc. Maybe some comparison to your other knives as well.
Thanks is advance. I look forward to hearing more about the Gesshin Uraku line.

I don't have a ton of knife experience, but I do have a 270 gyuto from this line. I've been really happy with mine. I haven't done extensive side-by-side testing with my other knives, so I'm hesitant to make comparisons regarding ease of sharpening or edge retention. The grind is good enough. Definitely not as nice as some of the much more expensive knives or some of the thinner knives Jon sells. You can always mess with it to improve it and then send it to Jon to fix your mistakes, lol (that's what I did). It'll come back better than new. The thing I love about mine, though, is its toughness. It really doesn't need to be babied, even without a super thick edge on it.

HeirkB,
Thanks, that's helpful to me. I don't mind if it's not too thin, that's really what I'm looking for.
Thanks a lot

Heirkb gave me some of his thoughts on his knife which were helpful.
I wanted to see I anyone else has any thoughts about their Gesshin Uraku knife to help make up my mind?

I wanted to see I anyone else has any thoughts about their Gesshin Uraku knife to help make up my mind?

Maybe a new thread would be a good idea. Other knives you are considering would be helpful.

I own a Uraku Nakiri and have handled most of the other Uraku knives. I haven't put enough time in with the nakiri because my example tends to wedge a bit and thus I think needs a bit of thinning/ profile work. That said for the price the fit and finish is great. You are getting a lot of knife for the money in this line especially since mine came with a saya as well. The steel seems to hold up well and responded well to sharpening.

If you have any specific questions I would be happy to attempt to answer them. They are a great starter knife but I feel will truly perform best if the get thorough work out on the stones to touch up their profiles.

A quick clarification if you don't mind. Gesshin Uraku and Yoshihiro are different brands, correct?

Same, but the Gesshin meets JKI standards.

I don't understand either. If the Yoshihiro is now Gesshin, then how can you still buy Yoshihiro? Sorry to necromance, but I PM'd him a couple days ago about this, and he hasn't answered. I'd like some clarity too, considering I just bought one of them.

Does he answer PM's or only emails? I wish he'd gotten back to me sooner. I ended up buying Shun stones!!!

Same maker different brands I think. Jon posted a note a couple of weeks ago saying that his email backlist is massive and to expect delays following his shop move.

I don't understand either. If the Yoshihiro is now Gesshin, then how can you still buy Yoshihiro? Sorry to necromance, but I PM'd him a couple days ago about this, and he hasn't answered. I'd like some clarity too, considering I just bought one of them.

Does he answer PM's or only emails? I wish he'd gotten back to me sooner. I ended up buying Shun stones!!!

Jon is currently extremely busy with his new store and etc so it might take a while for him to reply to your PM or email. Why don't you give him a quick call if you are in US?
But from what I understood, both Gesshin Uraku and Yoshihiro are from the same maker. However, as No Chop said Gesshin series meet JKI standard, which means you won't see the usual issues (i.e. low and high spots) you would see in other entry level J-knives. It's like they put more efforts to make their knives for Gesshin Uraku than their usual Yoshihiro kasumi series.

Having said that you could still end up with a good one even if you buy directly from Yoshihiro depending on your luck.
If you buy Jon's Gesshin series, it means you are buying a knife that passed Jon's F&F quality standard. I have read many posts here in KKF about Uraku and it seems everyone who bought them is very happy. I'd have bought them too, if the shipping to AU was cheaper.

Back