Quantcast
Yoshihiro becoming Gesshin Uraku - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yoshihiro becoming Gesshin Uraku

yup... gotta take new pictures. Some are already going out with the new kanji, but it will take a little time to switch them all over.

This is cool. I was planning on getting a Deba but am glad that I waited. I want the new engraving!

I want my gyuto re-engraved! Congrats, Jon. Gesshin roolz.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Ok everyone needs to buy them all out, before next mo. I'm surprised these are still there.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    the stainless wa-gyutos, wa-suji, and wa-petty are a moly stainless at 60hrc. Its a tough steel that resists chipping well and has good edge retention.
    I was of the impression that the stainless were a cobalt added alloy, or am I completely off base?

After a very helpful and informative talk with Jon yesterday ive decided, at his recommendation, to really consider these for a solid performing gyuto.

So, I'd like to ask any of you who're using them to give any feedback or comments. How do they take an edge, what the grind is like, feel on the stones, etc. Maybe some comparison to your other knives as well.
    Thanks is advance. I look forward to hearing more about the Gesshin Uraku line.

I don't have a ton of knife experience, but I do have a 270 gyuto from this line. I've been really happy with mine. I haven't done extensive side-by-side testing with my other knives, so I'm hesitant to make comparisons regarding ease of sharpening or edge retention. The grind is good enough. Definitely not as nice as some of the much more expensive knives or some of the thinner knives Jon sells. You can always mess with it to improve it and then send it to Jon to fix your mistakes, lol (that's what I did). It'll come back better than new. The thing I love about mine, though, is its toughness. It really doesn't need to be babied, even without a super thick edge on it.

HeirkB,
    Thanks, that's helpful to me. I don't mind if it's not too thin, that's really what I'm looking for.
    Thanks a lot

.... don't encourage Jon to buy anymore machines!

Heirkb gave me some of his thoughts on his knife which were helpful.
    I wanted to see I anyone else has any thoughts about their Gesshin Uraku knife to help make up my mind?