Quantcast
Yoshihiro becoming Gesshin Uraku - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yoshihiro becoming Gesshin Uraku

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    Heirkb gave me some of his thoughts on his knife which were helpful.
    I wanted to see I anyone else has any thoughts about their Gesshin Uraku knife to help make up my mind?
    Maybe a new thread would be a good idea. Other knives you are considering would be helpful.

A quick clarification if you don't mind. Gesshin Uraku and Yoshihiro are different brands, correct?

Same, but the Gesshin meets JKI standards.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by ChefCosta View Post
    A quick clarification if you don't mind. Gesshin Uraku and Yoshihiro are different brands, correct?
    wut

Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    Heirkb gave me some of his thoughts on his knife which were helpful.
    I wanted to see I anyone else has any thoughts about their Gesshin Uraku knife to help make up my mind?
    I own a Uraku Nakiri and have handled most of the other Uraku knives. I haven't put enough time in with the nakiri because my example tends to wedge a bit and thus I think needs a bit of thinning/ profile work. That said for the price the fit and finish is great. You are getting a lot of knife for the money in this line especially since mine came with a saya as well. The steel seems to hold up well and responded well to sharpening.

If you have any specific questions I would be happy to attempt to answer them. They are a great starter knife but I feel will truly perform best if the get thorough work out on the stones to touch up their profiles.

Facking necromancers!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Quote Originally Posted by ChefCosta View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Same, but the Gesshin meets JKI standards.
    I don't understand either. If the Yoshihiro is now Gesshin, then how can you still buy Yoshihiro? Sorry to necromance, but I PM'd him a couple days ago about this, and he hasn't answered. I'd like some clarity too, considering I just bought one of them.

Does he answer PM's or only emails? I wish he'd gotten back to me sooner. I ended up buying Shun stones!!!

Same maker different brands I think. Jon posted a note a couple of weeks ago saying that his email backlist is massive and to expect delays following his shop move.

This is an older note about the brands:
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...-Gesshin-Uraku

Quote Originally Posted by GodprefersDiesels View Post
    I don't understand either. If the Yoshihiro is now Gesshin, then how can you still buy Yoshihiro? Sorry to necromance, but I PM'd him a couple days ago about this, and he hasn't answered. I'd like some clarity too, considering I just bought one of them.

Does he answer PM's or only emails? I wish he'd gotten back to me sooner. I ended up buying Shun stones!!!
    Jon is currently extremely busy with his new store and etc so it might take a while for him to reply to your PM or email. Why don't you give him a quick call if you are in US?
    But from what I understood, both Gesshin Uraku and Yoshihiro are from the same maker. However, as No Chop said Gesshin series meet JKI standard, which means you won't see the usual issues (i.e. low and high spots) you would see in other entry level J-knives. It's like they put more efforts to make their knives for Gesshin Uraku than their usual Yoshihiro kasumi series.

Having said that you could still end up with a good one even if you buy directly from Yoshihiro depending on your luck.
    If you buy Jon's Gesshin series, it means you are buying a knife that passed Jon's F&F quality standard. I have read many posts here in KKF about Uraku and it seems everyone who bought them is very happy. I'd have bought them too, if the shipping to AU was cheaper.