OotB Kochi 270 yanagi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DwarvenChef

Reaction score
IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

Out of the Box check in of the 270 KU Kochi Yanagi

Just a quick over view of what I see and feel after opening the box :) As usual Jon's packing is top notch and it got here in 2 days Whoot.

Starting with the handle (hehe) It's a burnt chestnut with black horn furrel and it's well polished and smooth. As can be seen in the pics there is a bit of a gap at the blade but not as bad as I have seen, about avg from my experience. Even with my big hands the handle sits well in my hand but not feeling small, but not what others would call large. There is a hairline gap in horn to wood fit on the exterior. Nothing feels loose at this time.

The finish on both handle and blade, the KU part, is what I expected from what my other Kochi is like. Rather nice looking :) from the KU it seems to go down to what seems like a sandblasted look/texture, not sure what thats all about. That moves down to the edge what is highly polished, I tried to get pics of the reflection of my light but they didn't look so good.

On about the blade, visually it seems flat and straight (as expected) the reflection on the reverse looks nice and even, so I'm not expecting any issues from there. The blade road was more of a suprise from what I was expecting though. In a good way :) While I was expecting this to be ground on a wheel, you know having a concave blade road, this is ever so slightly convex look to it, bit that could be optical from the contrast in finishes. And it is rather sharp, maybe from the polishing of the blade road but the reverse is not polished much, so I'm sure it can be touched up and be screaming :) I have a pound of salmon that needs attention :p

I'm going to touch it up and see what happens, the true test starts on the stones :) and ends in the salmon :p

Back