Quantcast
Mincing Knives - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mincing Knives

Is that jaw augmented?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Is that jaw augmented?
    Probably buffalo horn implants.

Reminds me of this traditional "knife" here in Finland, it's called Petkele.

It's used to finely chop vegetables, used together with a special box made for the purpose. They used to have these in every household.

I have seen this used for only one dish. It's a traditional Christmas dish, a sort of salad comprised of potato, carrot, beetroot (all cooked), onion, apple and pickled cucumber. Only the first three ingredients are obligatory, the rest varies by family and region. Pickled herring may also be added. Served with a sour cream based sauce, or not. Personally I don't see how anyone would use it in place of a proper knife. Or maybe it's just me, but I find it very clumsy to use. I'd be really interested to know what my ancestors were thinking.

The more common form of this tool is this one. Yes, both of these have the same name. The anatomy is pretty much the same, except for the longer handle. It's used for breaking ice and trimming (peeling) logs. For hacking ice it's excellent, no complaints. For the most of the year there is more ice than food anyway... maybe that's how the small culinary use petkele was born. No need to learn fancy schmancy cutting techniques, just hack away at the food.

Never seen that before thank you for sharing .
    A clever cook can make good meat of a whetstone.” Erasmus