Mincing Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeley

GoogleFu San
Founding Member
Reaction score
One of those things you find in a lot of antique stores .
often used inside wooden bowls.

w3X1c.png
[/IMG]
Meat Masticator I see a t-shirt coming. 1898

reference to Beatty's cleavers
wiz6L.png
[/IMG]

This has been something that's puzzled me for years. I can't figure out why these were so popular and then why they stopped being used.

Dave they still make them, its called a rolliechop or something and the mezzaluna

No wonder it is still used.
Nigella Lawson uses one on her show regularly..
(British tv-chef...ish)

This has been something that's puzzled me for years. I can't figure out why these were so popular and then why they stopped being used.

The sale of ground meat in supermarkets resulted in the loss of popularity of these mincing knives. Same principle as coffee grinders and ground coffee.

That makes sense. Now I wonder why I couldn't have thought of that on my own? :D

When the whole "rocknchop" knife came out I was looking for a mezzaluna. With all the blades why would you want a rock n chop then? :vmc:

Landers fray & clark meat slicer 1800

HlqN2.jpg
[/IMG]

For your consideration .
FLP1N.jpg
[/IMG]

xUwFG.png
[/IMG]

VE0LM.jpg
[/IMG]

Canada's Inuit people that live in the North use a similar knife called an ulu.

I think the producers make Nigella rock out the double handle just for rating purposes.

6fcdb534-ae12-44ff-b4e4-94d17849733f.jpg

Recently my buddy's gf miss placed this. She sent out a mass text to everyone who had recently visited the house to no avail. That week great famine ravaged that house. Boyfriend and girlfriend became bitter enemies. Friendships were strained with the weight of suspicion. Blame shot into random directions like bullets shot by a gun wielding toddler.

It was rumored that slapchop hid behind the ever growing mound of tupperware long forgotten. And it was there peace was found once again.

Mincing knives ain't no joke.

Reminds me of this traditional "knife" here in Finland, it's called Petkele.

40232.jpg

It's used to finely chop vegetables, used together with a special box made for the purpose. They used to have these in every household.

40220.jpg

I have seen this used for only one dish. It's a traditional Christmas dish, a sort of salad comprised of potato, carrot, beetroot (all cooked), onion, apple and pickled cucumber. Only the first three ingredients are obligatory, the rest varies by family and region. Pickled herring may also be added. Served with a sour cream based sauce, or not. Personally I don't see how anyone would use it in place of a proper knife. Or maybe it's just me, but I find it very clumsy to use. I'd be really interested to know what my ancestors were thinking.

The more common form of this tool is this one. Yes, both of these have the same name. The anatomy is pretty much the same, except for the longer handle. It's used for breaking ice and trimming (peeling) logs. For hacking ice it's excellent, no complaints. For the most of the year there is more ice than food anyway... maybe that's how the small culinary use petkele was born. No need to learn fancy schmancy cutting techniques, just hack away at the food. :viking:

petkele_0809_ec0.jpg

Never seen that before thank you for sharing .

Latest posts

Back