Quantcast
Shigefusa - Page 19
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Shigefusa

Quote Originally Posted by schanop View Post
    It is good to hear that the yo is still your favourite. Being a 54mm tall, relatively thin at the spine, and weight 230-240g feels really good in hand. 240 wa-kitaeji that went to Rami has a nice thick, rounded spine, and it was almost 210g with smaller ho handle too.

My 240 yo kitaeji is at 53m, 230g, and it does feel nice both in my hand and in my eyes.
    Used it yesterday. Worth every penny and then some. Brought a smile to my face.

Good to hear that, Rami.

Not all kitaeji gyuto are thicker and bigger than kasumi. 240 kitaeji that James received recently is a bit shorter, probably 48 vs 50 (Rami's) and is a fair bit thinner at the spine.

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    near 220g as I think that would be my ideal. Having said that I have a 240mm Yo Gyuto, and it is my favourite Gyuto! I think Kitaeji Gyutos run a little heavier, maybe you should track one down
    Your fav? Impressive, because if there's one thing I know is that Huw's gone through a good many different gyuto. Good idea, tx.

Quote Originally Posted by schanop View Post
    Not all kitaeji gyuto are thicker and bigger than kasumi. 240 kitaeji that James received recently is a bit shorter, probably 48 vs 50 (Rami's) and is a fair bit thinner at the spine.
    Hmm, rather than take that chance, sounds like it would be wise to put in an order requesting one be made on the heavier/bigger end. Has anyone tried an order with this kind of spec?

I've just seen that JNS has some new Shig KU 150mm wa pettys available. I'm sure these will sell fast so I made sure I ordered one already It'll be my first Shig!

Quote Originally Posted by Mangelwurzel View Post
    I've just seen that JNS has some new Shig KU 150mm wa pettys available. I'm sure these will sell fast so I made sure I ordered one already It'll be my first Shig!
    Congratulations!!!

These are a screaming bargain, and you will not be disappointed

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Mangelwurzel View Post
    Toll! Congrats!
    This is a nice knife. It's one of most affordable Shigs, and it is less reactive then any other Shigefusa.
    The next step should be Kasumi, then Kitaeji. To see the next level
    Enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey V View Post
    So, guys, the dreams come true
    Since i write this mail, i've got : Shigefusa Yanagiba 210/270/300, in kasumi and Kitaeji, some more Shigs in Kitaeji as well , Kato Gyuto Dragon, 240 Damascus and Kikuryu, Kato Nakiri and Santoku , all Kato Petties, Kato yanagiba 240 etc etc....
    You know, guys, i had a rare opportunity to compare directly Shige and Kato in action ( Petty, Kato, Nakiri, Gyuto, Yanagi) . I took Kato.. Shige is the beast, till you take Kato . After Kato you feel your Shige just ....dull! I will sell most of my Shigs, maybe. The gap is just too big. Shige is better in finish, but Kato.... Great knives!!
    Shige is great in classic single bevel knives, he is a God to create a perfect ura, but if you think about double bevel... Kato!
    I have many high end knives, over 50, but i am really impressed by Kato
    I'm going to chalk some of this commentary up to a language barrier, but Shigs and Katos are two completely different knives. I own Katos in 210 and 240 (gyutos), a Shig Kasumi 240 gyuto and a Shig Kasumi 270 suji and have spent a good bit of time playing with each side by side. There is just no way to say with any sort objectivity that one is better than the other. Katos are completely unique knives and, in my experience, what makes them exceptional is the the fact that there is virtually no performance differential between soft/loose ingredients and hard/dense ingredients. They separate produce better than anything I have ever used for sure. That said, Shigs are far better athletes than Katos across the performance spectrum. I.E. other knives may best them in certain regards (a laser through a small onion, or a Kato through a young green papaya) but Shigs are pretty damn good at just about everything. A Kato is not as slick as a Shig through softer stuff and a laser can't handle the tough duty a Shig can.
    In short, saying one knife is definitively better than the other is just silly. It's like saying a Porsche 911 Turbo is better than a Range Rover Autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    I don't even know what's done with a folder. What's the appeal?
    With ya. That is just a weird comment. Folders are hunting knives, or a derivation thereof. Not sure how owning a few patterns of kitchen knives from a specific knife maker means that the proper progression is then to explore folders. It's like suggesting that if you own every calibre/iteration of Sig Sauer hand gun than you are supposed to buy a land mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ChipB View Post
    I'm going to chalk some of this commentary up to a language barrier, but Shigs and Katos are two completely different knives. I own Katos in 210 and 240 (gyutos), a Shig Kasumi 240 gyuto and a Shig Kasumi 270 suji and have spent a good bit of time playing with each side by side. There is just no way to say with any sort objectivity that one is better than the other. Katos are completely unique knives and, in my experience, what makes them exceptional is the the fact that there is virtually no performance differential between soft/loose ingredients and hard/dense ingredients. They separate produce better than anything I have ever used for sure. That said, Shigs are far better athletes than Katos across the performance spectrum. I.E. other knives may best them in certain regards (a laser through a small onion, or a Kato through a young green papaya) but Shigs are pretty damn good at just about everything. A Kato is not as slick as a Shig through softer stuff and a laser can't handle the tough duty a Shig can.
    In short, saying one knife is definitively better than the other is just silly. It's like saying a Porsche 911 Turbo is better than a Range Rover Autobiography.
    Chip,

Evaluation of the cutting performance of a knife is a highly subjective process, based in large part on individual perceptions. With that in mind, one person's opinion is every bit as valid as another's. There's no justification to call an opinion "silly" just because you happen not to agree with it.

By the way, I happen to agree with Andrey's opinion, that the Kato is a better all-around performing knife than the Shigefusa, based on my experience with both knives.

Regards,

Rick
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Chip,

Evaluation of the cutting performance of a knife is a highly subjective process, based in large part on individual perceptions. With that in mind, one person's opinion is every bit as valid as another's. There's no justification to call an opinion "silly" just because you happen not to agree with it.

By the way, I happen to agree with Andrey's opinion, that the Kato is a better all-around performing knife than the Shigefusa, based on my experience with both knives.

Regards,

Rick

You made my point exactly. It's not valid to say one knife is better than another especially when they are so different. If you prefer a way a certain knife performs that's great. For me to say a Konosuke HD2 is better than Heiji is kind of crazy no? I might prefer the performance, but to outright call it a better knife, without some real substance behind the claim is wrong. You may prefer the Heiji or vice versa. I happen to enoy my Katos more than my Shigs as well (at least at the moment), but I'm able to understand why someone else might prefer Shigs. This is why I called this post out. As you point out, there is no definitive.