Quantcast
Shigefusa - Page 18
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Shigefusa

To me a folder serves the purpose of me not feeling naked. Also, there is always something to cut when on the road and if there is nothing i look for something. I now have the nice Kato Higonokami for that, a Benchmade takes second place now.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    I should point out that after you have owned most of the Shig types out there, or for anyone who feels they have run out of knives to buy, you are supposed to move on to folders. I am waiting for a Chris Reeve. Having said that; however, I still track available Shigs at all times.
    I've barely used my Shig since I bought it back in December. But only because it's been touring with Jon/Mike Henry. But I still want another 240. Just for peace of mind...
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    I've barely used my Shig since I bought it back in December. But only because it's been touring with Jon/Mike Henry. But I still want another 240. Just for peace of mind...
    My Shig is with MHenry too. But I am curious why you wanted/needed to send yours to Jon. Was it new?

Hi all, I'm new to the forum so this is post number one. I'm been reading threads on here for a while and there's some really interesting info to be had. Not sure if this post should be in here so please tell me if I should redirect...I live in the uk and would LOVE to get my hands on a Shig kitaeji 240mm gyuto but it's very hard to get hold of one here. Could you guys tell me the best person to speak with so I can get my dream knife!? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey V View Post
    I have many knives ( i use them as well), and i like all the Shigefusa versions- yesterday i've got my first Kuroushi Shige- i was really impressed- the finish is just outstanding! It's like a silk, very smooth. And of fourse, the Kitaeji is just a beauty.. I love it..
    Next week i'll get my Kato Dragon- i suppose i will impressed me again . The only one point i really regret is that i have missed the 300 mm Shigefusa Yanagiba- is was too long just without any movement- so i thought i' get it when i'll be ready- now it's too late.. Ok, next time
    For this i'll get a top Masamoto Yanagi!
    So, guys, the dreams come true
    Since i write this mail, i've got : Shigefusa Yanagiba 210/270/300, in kasumi and Kitaeji, some more Shigs in Kitaeji as well , Kato Gyuto Dragon, 240 Damascus and Kikuryu, Kato Nakiri and Santoku , all Kato Petties, Kato yanagiba 240 etc etc....
    You know, guys, i had a rare opportunity to compare directly Shige and Kato in action ( Petty, Kato, Nakiri, Gyuto, Yanagi) . I took Kato.. Shige is the beast, till you take Kato . After Kato you feel your Shige just ....dull! I will sell most of my Shigs, maybe. The gap is just too big. Shige is better in finish, but Kato.... Great knives!!
    Shige is great in classic single bevel knives, he is a God to create a perfect ura, but if you think about double bevel... Kato!
    I have many high end knives, over 50, but i am really impressed by Kato

Shige is great in classic single bevel knives, he is a God to create a perfect ura, but if you think about double bevel... Kato!
    I have many high end knives, over 50, but i am really impressed by Kato
    I wonder about the older Shigs. I remember reading they were not as thin/light, and if you (me too) like the sturdier Kato then perhaps those older Shigs would suit us?

Would be interested to hear if people have any experience with this. As a reference, I had a gyuto before which was 200g with original ho wood handle. It was great, but too light in hand for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    I wonder about the older Shigs. I remember reading they were not as thin/light, and if you (me too) like the sturdier Kato then perhaps those older Shigs would suit us?

Would be interested to hear if people have any experience with this. As a reference, I had a gyuto before which was 200g with original ho wood handle. It was great, but too light in hand for me.
    Agree- this is a new trend- the good knives tend to become lightweight.. Nobody says you need an axe in the hand, but you still have to feel the knife.. Have you ever tried the titan lightweight knives?? Strange feeling..

Agree- this is a new trend- the good knives tend to become lightweight.. Nobody says you need an axe in the hand, but you still have to feel the knife.. Have you ever tried the titan lightweight knives?? Strange feeling..
    I've handled a few lazers - not my thing. Felt like the blades would easily snap in half.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post

I have owned 3 Shig 240 Kasumi Gyutos, weights were 195g, 200g & 206g heel heights varied from 49mm-52mm. With the 200g having the narrowest spine, that blade could be easily bent with 2 fingers. The 206g was my favourite, and now every time Maksim announces he has some 240 shigs coming in I always pester him to see if any are near 220g as I think that would be my ideal. Having said that I have a 240mm Yo Gyuto, and it is my favourite Gyuto! I think Kitaeji Gyutos run a little heavier, maybe you should track one down
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

It is good to hear that the yo is still your favourite. Being a 54mm tall, relatively thin at the spine, and weight 230-240g feels really good in hand. 240 wa-kitaeji that went to Rami has a nice thick, rounded spine, and it was almost 210g with smaller ho handle too.

My 240 yo kitaeji is at 53m, 230g, and it does feel nice both in my hand and in my eyes.

+ Reply to Thread