Thread: Grandma's knife

Grandma's knife

Hey all,

When my grandma passed away a couple of years ago they were going through her stuff and giving\getting rid of everything. The only thing I was interested in was her knives, most weren't the greatest but she did have 1 Henckle 8" chef knife. It was really banged up, tip was bent, multiple chips on the edge and was frowning from all the steeling and no sharpening during its time with her. They were going to throw it out as they figured it was a goner but I saved it, I just remember all the great meals she made for the family using that knife. Over the years I've fixed issues with it starting with the tip and putting an initial edge on it (left the frowning). Used it for a bit (was just a grab knife when I needed a quick cut, not making dinner with it) but recently got new stones so decided to restore it properly. Took the knife and 'bread knifed' it on 200 grit stone and got all the chips\dips\frowning out, brought it down to be nice and leveled, then worked the belly so it transitioned smoothly. Then I put a double bevel into it at 10deg and 15deg and stropped it on my ceramic. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it took the edge and kept it.
    Anyways I'm really digging this knife and using it a lot more. I love the fact that it was my grandmas, now every time I use it I think of her.

Here's some pics of it. It's a Twin Gourmet I believe.
    https://goo.gl/photos/DoCFjXS6CkijUDj17

AddUmm that is a great and moving story. Have to love knives with a personal story behind them =)

Love that.

Thanks for sharing a great story, and welcome to KKF.

Well done and thanks for reminding me of Grandma's knife.
    Always be yourself. Unless you can be BATMAN. Then always be Batman.

It is wonderful to appreciate a knife with some personal history. Knives can make their way through several generations.

Thanks all. I really love the fact that I'm constantly reminder of her every time I pick up the blade. I agree that knives can be passed down through generations if they are maintained properly. My girlfriend got me a Zwilling SS Kramer 8" chef for Christmas and I told her that this was the knife that we'll pass down to our children and they'll pass it down to theirs and so forth as long as it's properly taken care of.