Quantcast
Is Toro worth the extra $$$?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Toro worth the extra $$$?

Is Toro worth the extra $$$?

I am looking to place a decent sized order for sashimi grade fish, and was wondering if the toro was worth the extra money over say maguro. The price difference is quite staggering, with the toro being $49 for .7 lbs as to where the maguro is $27 a lb. Is there that much of a taste difference?

much more awesomer
    I'm a complete sashimi rookie, but to me they tasted totally different. I can't say I liked toro more than maguro, just that they were different.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

They are totally different. Toro is fatty tuna which you may or may not like over lean tuna. I personally like them both and pay more for it when I order sashimi. It's like melt in your mouth tuna Bacon.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Toro rules! Ummmmm tuna fat.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Yeah theres a noticeable difference in taste and visual. If you were to compare it to pork, Toro would be the bacon, Maguro would be like the Pork chop. Curious to were your ordering it from $49 seems little steep for .7lbs. Unless its super fatty.

The taste differs significantly, but there is so much more: the fat both gives it a supremely unctuous texture in the mouth and the sensation of glorious richness when chewed. If you are the sort of person that likes fatty foods (lardo, bacon, foie gras) then nothing beats toro. It's really not comparable to regular maguro. There is a limited amount from each tuna, hence the price increase

Hmmm. Ok i guess i will order some and try it Compare it to bacon, and i am SOLD!!! The price i found it for was from http://www.catalinaop.com/Tuna_Maguro_Toro_s/115.htm. I have heard nothing but great things about these guys, and am excited to make some crazy sushi.

I would highly recommend not chopping it up or using too much sauce on it. You're paying that much because it's likely a nice square or rectangular block.

I prefer it with just a dab of soy sauce and best quality wasabi. It really is a treat (besides the fact that it's coming from an near-endangered species of fish).

Also, be sure to cut it against the grain (if there is a grain).

P.S. - IMHO, bacon can't touch Toro.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

much more awesomer
    Oh, man. Anybody on the east coast wanna split on an order of wasabia japonica from the northwest? This thread has me drooling.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Ha! That is one more thing i am ordering, is fresh wasabi root!!!! Thanks guys, ordering some tomorrow Any other suggestions? (barring albacore? Not a fan)