Quantcast
Differential Heat Treat in a Kitchen Knife. Why? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Differential Heat Treat in a Kitchen Knife. Why?

Thanks for the replies. I'll stop asking for more information now.

-AJ

I would love to learn the art of hamon, but even without all that clay, I relieve all mine with the edge clamped between two plates, then gas torch the tang/spine and take it back to around 50 hrc on the spine. No-one told me to do this, It came about through necessity of taking out any gentle warps after ht and temper and as a safety measure Against ending up getting a blade back in several pieces. I also like to mix my steels up and use a cladding dammy mix which is softer at a given temper than the core, so it already has a differential temper. Nothing new there, it comes from sword construction, although they would be composite constructions in European swords anyway.

I've said it before; people who know watches know a Rolex from a mile away.... A knife knut can spot a honyaki from a mile away. It's a status symbol, above all; something we (I) covet....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Not to highjack the thread, but IMOHO, in the watch world a Rolex is pretty much the equivalent of a Shun knife - a first step one could take into serious watches. But to continue your analogy, the real connaisseurs can spot a mile away watches like a Greubel-Forsay (think Bob Kramer), a Kari Voutilainen (maybe a beautiful Devin Thomas damascus), a Philippe Dufour (think Takeda) or an F.P.Journe (perhaps a Hattori KD)...

+ Reply to Thread