• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: Suisin Momiji Funayuki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMac

Reaction score
Up for sale is a Suisin Momiji Funayuki. In great shape.

-195mm
-Shiro-niko carbon steel
-Magnolia handle
-Comes with saya
-320 Shipped CONUS.
d84b599d.jpg
f5898e7e.jpg
Willing to trade for Sujihiki.

all these views, no replies?

Was gonna say great deal but this other thread made me stop...

more pics? how about one of the handle? Not a bad deal for paying 375 for a new one from Korin, and Amazon.

Looks like tip has been reduced quite a bit in width, and is that a low spot/overgrind on the jigane at the heel?

I had this knife recently sharpened by Korin. hence the tape on the saya in the bottom picture. Maybe this picture doesn't show the knife off the best.

Are you interested in this knife? Or are you just making comments?

I've been wanting to have one momizi 225 or 240mm white #2. For this knife, let's say somewhat depending on the assessed condition I see.

For single bevel knives, you should show state of the back side. It is as important as the actual bevel shape. This one may have been recently sharpen at Korin, but I think my comment about bevel width at the tip still stands.

I'll take a picture you, no problem.

....but I think my comment about bevel width at the tip still stands.

I own one of these, actually a 210mm Gin version, so I'm trying to stay abrest of this thread...are you asking about the width of the blade at the tip, or about the width of the bevel - from spine to edge - at the tip?
I recall, according to the folks at Ichi, the funy is the thinnest of the traditional shaped debas, the Susin Momiji is especially thin, probably about as close as you can get to a gyuto in a true single bevel blade.

Looks like tip has been reduced quite a bit in width, and is that a low spot/overgrind on the jigane at the heel?

If you're saying that based on the width of the blade road (as opposed to the shape of the cutting edge), then what you're seeing might be an artifact of the lighting. The blade road at the tip looks fine in the pictures in the first post, no? I think the seller should post a close up of the tip to clear that up.

I own one of these, actually a 210mm Gin version, so I'm trying to stay abrest of this thread...are you asking about the width of the blade at the tip, or about the width of the bevel - from spine to edge - at the tip?
I recall, according to the folks at Ichi, the funy is the thinnest of the traditional shaped debas, the Susin Momiji is especially thin, probably about as close as you can get to a gyuto in a true single bevel blade.

If you're saying that based on the width of the blade road (as opposed to the shape of the cutting edge), then what you're seeing might be an artifact of the lighting. The blade road at the tip looks fine in the pictures in the first post, no? I think the seller should post a close up of the tip to clear that up.

@mikemac, what heirkb said. I feel the tip bevel width is somewhat smaller than photos from Suisin. Usually (or quite often) deba and its range of family come with slightly wider bevel/lower angle at the tip compared with its heel from makers' shop.

Picture in the top right is comparing it Yoshihiro deba 210mm. As far as the heel of the knife goes, it has the same type of marking as my Kirtisuke does from Korin.

So is it still for sale or are we now just debating about it?

Sold! After all these crazy questions, added pictures.

Back