Quantcast
Not a knife: Paderno Heavy Duty Carbon Steel 11 Inch Frying Pan - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not a knife: Paderno Heavy Duty Carbon Steel 11 Inch Frying Pan

Sorry, I'm in Minnesota (which is the Canada of the states), but have no idea of sources for actual Canada. I got mine from the us amazon.com. I think it was around $40 iirc.

I've been using the pan daily since I posted the original review and I love it even more now. Still no warping, but if I do heat it too rapidly on my terrible electric glass top range, it does temporarily warp just enough to spin on the glass a bit. Once the temperature equalizes, it flattens back out. This would be imperceptible on a real (gas) range.

I've also noticed that the silicon sleeve has loosened up a bit from gripping it and taking it on and off (i take it off when i put the pan under the broiler and then put it back on the very hot handle when it comes out of the broiler). Not really a problem at this point, and I think a new one is like $5, but I thought I'd mention it as it's the only real wear item on the pan.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

I've largely given up on all my "fancy" cookware. I have a half dozen French steel pans that do 99% of the work in my kitchen. The larger pans do warp slightly under heat, but quickly return to true after they cool off. Were I to dispense with all my cookware, these would be amongst the very last to go. Sometimes the most basic and simple of things actually perform far better than things which are far more complicated. Mine are a mix of Matfler and DeBuyer. They all do exactly what I want them to do and then some.

Engorged Member
    I have the omelet/crepe pan. I love it and use it when ever I get the chance. I love that its so nonstick now with the patina that I just wipe it off after use.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Exactly. We have roughly a dozen and a half crepe pans which we use for classes. I always chuckle when the students seem shocked at the fact that a crepe won't stick even when it's not a non stick pan. I always laugh and ask them what do you think people did before teflon???

Hoping to find one somewhere in Canada that isn't uber money as I'd love to buy now that my every day nonstick one is on its last legs.

Just gotta find a decent retailer lol

sounds good. probably a decent cheaper choice to debuyer.

I bought the gf a mauviel 10" crepe pan and I love it. I have a stack of old cast irons and some used copper stuff and this pan always seems to find its way to the stove come breakfast time. They are a bargain for around $20. The paderno looks nice too. Never understood the all clad craze when there's so much that will do just as good a job.

I've never used a carbon steel pan, but I'm a huge fan of good old cast iron. What are the advantages of carbon steel that I'm missing out on?

I've never used a carbon steel pan, but I'm a huge fan of good old cast iron. What are the advantages of carbon steel that I'm missing out on?
    about half the weight of cast iron (although that would depend on the size of what you're using and the thickness of the brand and make, but it is generally lighter than cast iron), and the same advantages you get from cast iron. great even heat, can take a lot of heat before it warps, as non-stick as you can get so long as you have a well established patina, and the smooth finish that you would usually get from vintage cast iron compared to lodge's cast iron that's bumpy almost dimply bottom.

If done well, cast metal can be plenty strong, but in general, forged is always stronger. I've seen cheap or badly cast metal crack. So in addition to the points the fanz made, a forged carbon steel pan will take A LOT of abuse.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded