Quantcast
Carnitas??
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carnitas??

Carnitas??

There are many carnitas approaches out there, do any of you guys have one that you think is the best? I got a chunk of pork shoulder on sale and I want to do carnitas!!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Yes, please let us know, I would love to hear as well. Now if I remember correctly I roasted a pork butt for approximately 12 hours at 225 in the oven. Prior to that I marinated it in onions, fresh squeezed orange juice, paprika and garlic powder. I shredded it and made tacos and they were phenomenal. Not quite carnitas but the best damn pork tacos I've ever had in Chicago.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    There are many carnitas approaches out there, do any of you guys have one that you think is the best? I got a chunk of pork shoulder on sale and I want to do carnitas!!
    Spike, my friend, do it slow and you can't do it wrong.

One way that seemed to make sense to me was to but the pork in a pot with water and simmer it for 4 hours or so until the water was gone, then browning in the rendered fat.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Here is how I remember it from El Paso:

Get a really big cast iron kettle hanging on a tripod and start a wood fire under it.....scrap lumber from construction sites, fire wood etc. Start with about 20#'s pork fat and render out the lard and then scoop out the chicharones. Cool on a metal wire screen, from one of your windows, supported by 4 red bricks on the picknick table. Eat with Chulola or Tabasco while drinking Modelo Especial or your favorite Mexican beer, the Patron come later. Next throw in about 15#'s diced pork (1-2" cubes) that have been seasoned with Sazon and resting in the fridge since day before yesterday. Let sizzle in the rendered lard a little while, add about 1 beer or so, stirring constantly with the oar from you car top fishing boat. Add, 5#'s orange, lemon and lime slices, 1 gallon milk, one 750ml bottle cheap tequilla and the final secret ingredient is the ash from all the Marlboro smoking hermanos. Cook until crispy outside and white, not pink, in the middle. When you are near the end of cooking the meat, 2-3 minute or another beer, add a couple of pounds of whole jalapenos stem and all. Scoop out and drain on the same screen that had the chicharones. Serve with warm corn tortillas by the kilo, guacamole, pico de gallo, the fried whole jalapenos y Patron....SALUD!!!

Some of the best friendship and outdoor eats I ever remember having!!!!

What if you don't have a fishing boat?
    Spike C
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Pabloz View Post

Get a really big cast iron kettle hanging on a tripod and start a wood fire under it.....scrap lumber from construction sites, fire wood etc. Start with about 20#'s pork fat and render out the lard and then scoop out the chicharones. Cool on a metal wire screen, from one of your windows, supported by 4 red bricks on the picknick table. Eat with Chulola or Tabasco while drinking Modelo Especial or your favorite Mexican beer, the Patron come later. Next throw in about 15#'s diced pork (1-2" cubes) that have been seasoned with Sazon and resting in the fridge since day before yesterday. Let sizzle in the rendered lard a little while, add about 1 beer or so, stirring constantly with the oar from you car top fishing boat. Add, 5#'s orange, lemon and lime slices, 1 gallon milk, one 750ml bottle cheap tequilla and the final secret ingredient is the ash from all the Marlboro smoking hermanos. Cook until crispy outside and white, not pink, in the middle. When you are near the end of cooking the meat, 2-3 minute or another beer, add a couple of pounds of whole jalapenos stem and all. Scoop out and drain on the same screen that had the chicharones. Serve with warm corn tortillas by the kilo, guacamole, pico de gallo, the fried whole jalapenos y Patron....SALUD!!!

Yeah, what Paul said... That sounds like the best time ever!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Would it be accurate to consider carnitas to be pork confit?
    Spike C
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Pabloz View Post

This is the gospel of carnitas.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Would it be accurate to consider carnitas to be pork confit?
    A really quick confit but YES

+ Reply to Thread