Quantcast
Carnitas?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carnitas??

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    One way that seemed to make sense to me was to but the pork in a pot with water and simmer it for 4 hours or so until the water was gone, then browning in the rendered fat.
    IIRC, Rick Bayless's recipe for carnitas is very similar to this. I've done this and it works quite well. However, be sure to include a lot of fat in the pot with the water; the fat will render so you will have enough lard to brown the pieces of pork.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Would it be accurate to consider carnitas to be pork confit?
    I recall reading that how carnitas is made depends on the region. The slow fry method is, IIRC, Michoacan style.

Personally, I prefer this the most. Other styles of carnitas, that are roasted or braised, don't have the nice crunchy texture that I associate with the best carnitas.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

What if you don't have a fishing boat?
    The oar works just fine by itself.

I'm finding two approaches to carnitas, one is the traditional braise, browning the meat then adding liquid for a long slow simmer. The other is simmering the meat in liquid and cooking the liquid away, then browning the meat in rendered fat. The second method should result in crispier meat, does one method have an advantage with regard to the maillard reaction?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

What no coca cola .
    A clever cook can make good meat of a whetstone.” Erasmus

OK, after a fair bit of research I cooked up some pork yesterday. After cutting the butt into chunks I sprinkled on some of my dry rub and a bit of extra salt, then put it into a 6 qt. stock pot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0614021513.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	8018
    I juiced an orange, a lemon, and a lime, added 1/2 a sweet onion, 4 sliced cloves of garlic and 3 fresh bay leaves. These went into the pot with enough water to just cover.

Name:	0614021516.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	8019
    I cooked it until the liquid evaporated and let it brown in the rendered fat.

Name:	0614021810.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	8020
    I fried some corn tortillas and made tacos with guac, cheddar and napa slaw.

Name:	0614021810a.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	8021
    It worked out pretty well!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    looks good spike.

YEA MAN...I'd eat it. Next time add some elotes as a side and Patron to wash it down.

Round two:
    One of my local markets had "boneless Country style ribs" on sale, just slices of pork shoulder, so I brought a couple of pounds home. This time I added a soaked California chili and a bottle of lager, plus a bunch more garlic and onion.
    Attachment 8400
    My battery died so no finished picture, unfortunately. Tonight was burrito with the pork, some mushed avocado with lime and green onion, cheddar and rice cooked with salsa, corn, peas,garlic and carrots. My tummy is quite happy tonight.
    Spike C
    Pirsig

RIGHT ON Spike!!! We'll make a hermano out of you yet!!!