Quantcast
Carnitas?? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carnitas??

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    OK, after a fair bit of research I cooked up some pork yesterday. After cutting the butt into chunks I sprinkled on some of my dry rub and a bit of extra salt, then put it into a 6 qt. stock pot.
    Attachment 8018
    I juiced an orange, a lemon, and a lime, added 1/2 a sweet onion, 4 sliced cloves of garlic and 3 fresh bay leaves. These went into the pot with enough water to just cover.
    Attachment 8019
    I cooked it until the liquid evaporated and let it brown in the rendered fat.
    Attachment 8020
    I fried some corn tortillas and made tacos with guac, cheddar and napa slaw.
    Attachment 8021
    It worked out pretty well!
    that looks great!

Sounds good spike. Blazing a new trail.

Sounds like if you give a call right when you put it on to simmer, I can be there in time for dinner. Looks great!
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Who has a hard core tacos al pastor recipe for me?
    I really am related to Tony Clifton.

Round 3 today- I toasted 2 California chilis and a home grown and smoked chipolte, soaked and blended to a paste, and fried with a bunched of chopped garlic and onion. I got 4 pounds of shoulder (on sale) and cut it up and seasoned with my butt rub, chili powder and oregano and let it sit in the fridge over night. The orange lemon and lime juice and beer for liquid and it cooked down for about 5 hours till the juice was gone.
    This just keeps getting better! Tonight it was on the side of a salad of romaine and avocado with refer pickled cauliflower and artichoke hearts.
    I'm thinking burritos tomorrow, maybe.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I like Bayless's method and when pork shoulder is on sale I have the meat guy slice it 1-1/2" thick. For a party I made pork and goat carnitas and while the goat was challenging and required added fat and longer covered cooking I pulled it off and there was not much left at the end of the night. I do deviate by using a seasoning I make instead of straight salt like Rick does.

I cooked some rice using salsa for part of the liquid and had the carnitas on it with sliced avocado. It was pretty yummy I would say.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Thanks for this recipe/technique! Did my first carnitas today with the Bayless method and using the fresh citrus juice/beer for the cooking liquid. It turned out really awesome! I'm sorry I only cooked half of the pork shoulder. Hehe made my own "at-home Chipotle" and it was killer.

The chipotle that I used was from some red jalape˝o that I smoked in the BGE!
    Spike C
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    The chipotle that I used was from some red jalape˝o that I smoked in the BGE!
    i seriously need to get one of those things.

+ Reply to Thread