French Cutlery

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeley

GoogleFu San
Founding Member
Reaction score
I would like to start this new post because since the old Le Their's post i have much more in the way of the knives we know as SABATIER'S and some more history.

1790 Forge France.
SOash.jpg
[/IMG]

The Wares of the makers.
WGIlH.png
[/IMG]

O9Xz.png
[/IMG]

This is probably the best ad Ive seen for a Sabatier.
1fO5v.png
[/IMG]

W7xUv.jpg
[/IMG]

a17VU.jpg
[/IMG]

and this stands a repeat
the man Auguste Sabatier.
e3DX6.jpg
[/IMG]

The shop at 84 Rue ST Paris
JM24t.jpg
[/IMG]

YwUuA.jpg
[/IMG]

QTONx.jpg
[/IMG]

Kylt2.jpg
[/IMG]

Dave sold me this Sabatier and told me it was so old that metal wasn't invented yet.
ctKMW.jpg
[/IMG]

and as always a french flapper.
sPGfC.jpg
[/IMG]

Is that a picture of Jean Sabatier, the supposed founder of the cutlery company, or Auguste Sabatier, the theological scholar?

Also, what did Jean Auguste Sabatier supposedly do? Did he create the profiles, or was he a prolific knifemaker, or what?

I would like to start this new post because since the old Le Their's post i have much more in the way of the knives we know as SABATIER'S and some more history.

1790 Forge France.
SOash.jpg
[/IMG]

The Wares of the makers.
WGIlH.png
[/IMG]

O9Xz.png
[/IMG]

The profile on that chefs is as good as it gets.

M

EAMON I will come over there.

That is jean Auguste Sabatier the knife maker .

d8hJ.png
[/IMG]

PS6vu.png
[/IMG]

Now a film about THEIRS France and the sites of knife making.
No talking during the film.
[video=youtube_share;uVNwskoWsvs]http://youtu.be/uVNwskoWsvs[/video]

A little knife shop in Theirs,FR
743xO.jpg
[/IMG]

At the top of the page is the word 'Messemaker', which can be broadly translated as 'Cutler'.

The original engraving of this image was created by the Dutch artist, Jan Luyken (1649-1712). It was published in Luyken's 1694 publication 'Het Menselyk Bedryf' ('The Book of Trades'). Jan Luyken compiled this book with his son, Caspar (1672-1708). It included engravings of a range of trades including cutlers, spectacle makers, confectioners and silversmiths

zlM6.jpg
[/IMG]

You should get all those old knife images, sketches, and such amassed into a single thread, and get the admins to "sticky" it. All in one place, would make a cool resource!

Either that or write a book!!

That's kind of what I am trying to do with files on my computer and then share what i find with you guys and what Dave has provided a place for all the findings
good for forum members to find a markers mark or history or just a cool image .

At the top of the page is the word 'Messemaker', which can be broadly translated as 'Cutler'.

The original engraving of this image was created by the Dutch artist, Jan Luyken (1649-1712). It was published in Luyken's 1694 publication 'Het Menselyk Bedryf' ('The Book of Trades'). Jan Luyken compiled this book with his son, Caspar (1672-1708). It included engravings of a range of trades including cutlers, spectacle makers, confectioners and silversmiths

zlM6.jpg
[/IMG]

love the fact that there are two elephant tusks sitting on the floor.

Now for yellow bellies as there called in France.

7wgm.png
[/IMG]

AND for those who wondered about the baton they put the knives in to grind
kXNes.png
[/IMG]

gqBN4.png
[/IMG]

0Dvtx.png
[/IMG]

sorry about translation.

LAGUIOLE

Some would say this is the most well known maker from France but i think OPINEL would give them a run for there money.

V6IpJ.png
[/IMG]

goflr.jpg
[/IMG]

some factory images of Their's FR

Sabatier workers.
VxPws.jpg
[/IMG]

semi work board

ZqxiP.jpg
[/IMG]
display 1900 expo