Update on wooden steak platter

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am also a member on North Carolina Woodworker and there are many talented lathe artists there who can turn these bowls for you. I posted this morning and hopefully by this afternoon I will have some names for you to contact and work with.

Remember, unless kiln dried, spalted wood will still contain an active fungus/bacteria that is harmful.

Thanks a million David, much appreciated. Doesn't say where this artist gets his wood or how he treats it, save that he looks for rotting wood on long walks...

Tristan, amazing find and I agree those would be perfect. I would love a set for steaks myself although Dave brings up a great point. The last thing I need is to die from some fungus because I am into an esoteric hobby.

I have some replies on NCWW and the one I am interested in is a terrific turner. Stay tuned for more info.

Yes, I believe he looks for downed trees and seems to be very interested in spalted maple. Another craftsman on NCWW does steak plates and I tried my best to trade for four cherry plates a while ago but he wouldn't bite. I will also provide his name later.

I believe these wood workers can make a range of things. Dave is just joining the dots so that we can see their work and contact them on our requirements.

I ultimately plan to make a set of 6 steak plates, out of highly figured wood, that is food safe, and that retains much of its natural character (e.g. partial natural boundaries say on 30% of the perimeter) as I think it preseves the 'craftsmanship' of the piece.

Any help I can get in being pointed to the right direction is much appreciated...

Latest posts

Back