Quantcast
New guy from Tampa
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy from Tampa

New guy from Tampa

Hello to all. My name is Brian and I was referred here from the shaving forum (B&B) that I'm on. I'm looking to purchase my first real good set of knives. Currently I use a few Calphalon knives for the majority of my cutting. I also have an old Tools of the Trade block set that I purchased in college. They have done the job but I'm tired of always having to sharpen them. My knives are stored in their counter block or in-drawer block. The majority of my cutting is done on poly boards so I'll have to change that as well.

I'm looking at Japanese style knives. Currently have my eye on JCK Kagayaki VG-10 (http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKIVG-10.html). The price seems good and I like the look of them. Any other suggestions for a beginner Japanese set? I will also have to learn how to sharpen these knives as well. Thanks for the help.

Welcome!
    Am I the only one who searched for The Edge from U2 and ended up here?

Hey Brian!

Welcome to KKF!!! You might want to look at something like this http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...-wa-gyuto.html VG-10 has been said to be kinda chippy, IMO,I think you would find a better investment in a Gesshin knife.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Welcome!

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    welcome, there is a ton of info here that will help too.

Welcome! Try not to think in terms of a set. Pick one nice knife at a time. Usually the first one would be a gyuto. Lots of good information here.

My only small bit of advice just a IMHO, stay away from VG10, I really don't like it. It's a little bit chippy, and its hard to sharpen. Great for building muscle memory but feels like it can take hours to get sharp.

I really like carbon steel knives. White/Blue/O1 in specifics and thats usually what I gravitate towards when I buy a new knife.

I know its not a real beginner knife but I would try and get a Murray Carter White funayuki 6ish sun (if he has stock). Its laminated so its not fully carbon but its a hell of a cutter and you'll have to take things slow to begin with but it'll give you a feel for an edge that is unbelievable.

Do you have anything that you are looking for in terms of a knife? I.E shape/size/steel etc.

The knife that I probably use the most would be the utility knife or a petty in this case. I have larger hands so I'm trying to avoid handles that look narrow. As far as stainless or carbon I guess I really don't have a preference. I'm just afraid if I forgot to wipe a carbon blade after cutting a lemon or lime that it would turn the blade. How fast does acid start effecting the carbon blade? After reading the above recommendations in regards to VG-10 knives, I agree that I should probably stay away from them for my first knives since they can chip and take awhile to sharpen.

Some other knives that have caught my attention are Tojiro DP and JCK Misono. I really like the looks of the Hattori Forum and Shun Edo but both are priced higher than I was looking the spend. Although the Hattori Forum Gyuto with the black linen handle really looks nice.

+ Reply to Thread