New guy from Tampa

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelcity

Reaction score
Hello to all. My name is Brian and I was referred here from the shaving forum (B&B) that I'm on. I'm looking to purchase my first real good set of knives. Currently I use a few Calphalon knives for the majority of my cutting. I also have an old Tools of the Trade block set that I purchased in college. They have done the job but I'm tired of always having to sharpen them. My knives are stored in their counter block or in-drawer block. The majority of my cutting is done on poly boards so I'll have to change that as well.

I'm looking at Japanese style knives. Currently have my eye on JCK Kagayaki VG-10 (http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKIVG-10.html). The price seems good and I like the look of them. Any other suggestions for a beginner Japanese set? I will also have to learn how to sharpen these knives as well. Thanks for the help.

welcome, there is a ton of info here that will help too.

Welcome! Try not to think in terms of a set. Pick one nice knife at a time. Usually the first one would be a gyuto. Lots of good information here.

My only small bit of advice just a IMHO, stay away from VG10, I really don't like it. It's a little bit chippy, and its hard to sharpen. Great for building muscle memory but feels like it can take hours to get sharp.

I really like carbon steel knives. White/Blue/O1 in specifics and thats usually what I gravitate towards when I buy a new knife.

I know its not a real beginner knife but I would try and get a Murray Carter White funayuki 6ish sun (if he has stock). Its laminated so its not fully carbon but its a hell of a cutter and you'll have to take things slow to begin with but it'll give you a feel for an edge that is unbelievable.

Do you have anything that you are looking for in terms of a knife? I.E shape/size/steel etc.

The knife that I probably use the most would be the utility knife or a petty in this case. I have larger hands so I'm trying to avoid handles that look narrow. As far as stainless or carbon I guess I really don't have a preference. I'm just afraid if I forgot to wipe a carbon blade after cutting a lemon or lime that it would turn the blade. How fast does acid start effecting the carbon blade? After reading the above recommendations in regards to VG-10 knives, I agree that I should probably stay away from them for my first knives since they can chip and take awhile to sharpen.

Some other knives that have caught my attention are Tojiro DP and JCK Misono. I really like the looks of the Hattori Forum and Shun Edo but both are priced higher than I was looking the spend. Although the Hattori Forum Gyuto with the black linen handle really looks nice.

The knife that I probably use the most would be the utility knife or a petty in this case. I have larger hands so I'm trying to avoid handles that look narrow. As far as stainless or carbon I guess I really don't have a preference. I'm just afraid if I forgot to wipe a carbon blade after cutting a lemon or lime that it would turn the blade. How fast does acid start effecting the carbon blade? After reading the above recommendations in regards to VG-10 knives, I agree that I should probably stay away from them for my first knives since they can chip and take awhile to sharpen.

Some other knives that have caught my attention are Tojiro DP and JCK Misono. I really like the looks of the Hattori Forum and Shun Edo but both are priced higher than I was looking the spend. Although the Hattori Forum Gyuto with the black linen handle really looks nice.

the DP is VG10, and as much as I enjoy the knife I rarely use it simply because I don't like sharpening it and well I have some nicer stuff I enjoy more.

There are a bunch of different Misono knives, none of which I have experience with, but they usually get good reviews. Another one you can look at is the JCK Carbonext. It has the benefits of Carbon with added rust resistance.

In terms of how fast a knife will rust or be effected. Well some will be seconds, others longer but in the end you shouldn't leave them wet or with food on at all. I accidentally left some onion on one of mine for a minute and some brown spots were there when I wiped it off. You will also have to get used to a Patina building and be okay with how it looks, some people think it looks dirty, other love it. Carbon knives when you get used to it just involve having a dry cloth around to quickly wipe your knife down before going to eat or to do something else. Then when its kitchen tidy time wash it and dry it. It hardly takes extra time at all, just some brain power to remember.

Welcome to the forums, Brian.

If you have large hands, then I would say to forget the Kagayaki VG10 series, as the handles are on the small side.

The Hattori Forum knives are nice looking, and the handles on the gyutos are very well suited for larger hands, but the handle on the petty may be on the small side for you. They are made from VG-10, but in my experience VG-10 is neither "chippy" nor harder to sharpen than other stainless alloys.

The Carbonext knives are a solid recommendation. As noted, they will stain, as they are semi-stainless.

You may want to consider the Fujiwara FKM stainless knives at JCK. Decent size handles, and the fit and finish are better than their price would lead you to assume.

Rick

You know what. Rick brings up a good point, I've been saying VG10 is hard to sharpen, but in truth its not that much different than other stainless knives I own, I just don't own many other stainless knives, the only others I can think of is a 440a and a carpenter steel, and I don't enjoy sharpening those either. So I may just be a bit biased towards carbon.

I started with Stainless, then got my first carbon and that was it for me. I love Carbon steel knives so I may push for them, but if you are set on stainless, the Fujiwara's get good reviews as well and will be closer to your price range.

Thanks Pensacola for the recomendation. Thanks chinacat for pointing out the sticky for me. I will continue this conversation in the kitchen knife section.

Back