Knife (or product) related pet peeves

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
I have been working at Korin for about a year and a half now, during which time I have developed a number of pet peeves related to products.

My biggest one is when brands are named after material that they don't use in the product.

I'm curious. What are your pet peeves of things you either sell or see in stores?

Like the Tamahagane knife brand?? I got excited when I saw it until I saw the steel that they used wasn't Tamahagane!

Yea! Why would you try to deceive customers like that? I've had to explain to a customer that had that knife been made out of tamahagane steel, it would be ridiculously expensive and why. I had no problem explaining it, but I just felt REALLY bad.

That one always drives me nuts! Or when they say Carbon steel, but won't tell you WHAT carbon steel it actually is and what the Rockwell hardness is!!

I also hate seeing awesome knives and then seeing the price and knowing I won't be getting one!

I have to drill all my sayas to fit new pins.

You of course. Couldn't resist the dig - I should apologize for that, and I will get around to it. You sell basically two sizes, one for Nenohi, and regular, and I was surprise that they don't fit. Not a big deal. I don't usually use sayas but I am selling a few knives, so I have to have pins that fit.

The pins from Korin are a bit fat. I usually grind the pins down rather than drill the hole out more.

You of course. Couldn't resist the dig - I should apologize for that, and I will get around to it. You sell basically two sizes, one for Nenohi, and regular, and I was surprise that they don't fit. Not a big deal. I don't usually use sayas but I am selling a few knives, so I have to have pins that fit.

Thats really weird, it's usually a perfect fit. I'm really sorry you had to deal with that and had we known we would have solved your problem earlier. I would be happy to exchange the saya and pin regardless of how long it has been since the original date of purchase, if you could send it back to us. We will ship you a new one and we will send the problem saya to the manufacturer on our end. :)

The pins from Korin are a bit fat. I usually grind the pins down rather than drill the hole out more.

Thanks for letting me know. I will be sure to let the packing team know to fit the pins before shipping out.

Thats really weird, it's usually a perfect fit. I'm really sorry you had to deal with that and had we known we would have solved your problem earlier. I would be happy to exchange the saya and pin regardless of how long it has been since the original date of purchase, if you could send it back to us. We will ship you a new one and we will send the problem saya to the manufacturer on our end. :)

By the way, we would provide the shipping label of course.

A big one for me is badly packed boxes for items that were shipped to me. A number of times I have gotten things that were just put into an empty box, taped shut, shipped. I just got a package from Korin today that was packed very well, though.

A big one for me is badly packed boxes for items that were shipped to me. A number of times I have gotten things that were just put into an empty box, taped shut, shipped. I just got a package from Korin today that was packed very well, though.

Yea, this bothers me too. Shipping in general. Sometimes we get some knives that are just thrown into a box without any sort of protection, then it comes to use with the tip protruding out from the side. Scary stuff.

By the way, I'm glad your package was packed well. Our warehouse guys are amazing. I tried to ship stuff out to my friends in Seattle, and the Korin guys repacked it because it bothered them how badly I packed. oops... LOL

I used to pack boxes and ship for a stained glass company when I was in High School and College. I learned how to pack the heck out of the boxes, but the stuff rarely broke! I've shipped a couple of knives and the packing material weighs more than the knives did!

I used to pack boxes and ship for a stained glass company when I was in High School and College. I learned how to pack the heck out of the boxes, but the stuff rarely broke! I've shipped a couple of knives and the packing material weighs more than the knives did!

LOLOL Oh man. I can understand how that would happen. Better safe than sorry though!! :)

I have many LOL but none related to Korin. :D

My head spins any time I see a reference to Swedish Steel or Swedish ore.

-AJ

Phrases such as "precision stamped" or the like, where they attempt to make an inferior process sound like a selling point.

Also... "never needs sharpening"

Continuously curved chef knife profiles.... W.t.f?

If your question also pertains to Internet stores such as Korin et el, I would say shipping. The transit part doesn't seem to be a problem but sometimes I will run into an occasion where I expect everything in one shipment only to find something was out of stock and coming later.

One thing I will say for brick and mortar is you don't pay unless product is in your hand.

Make no mistake though, I am a long and happy customer. I buy everything from plates, bowls,sushi supplies, etc, to Nenohi. (Not to mention you are my main source for bamboo leaves. When in stock)

I hate that shipping overseas from America costs a fortune. Wonder if for overseas customers there is a "ship from alternate" that is possible - so that we can get items from Japan and calculate shipping that way...

I'm not saying that might be an option, but if it was...

Charcoal anyone?

I have many LOL but none related to Korin. :D

My head spins any time I see a reference to Swedish Steel or Swedish ore.

-AJ

Äh, if it's Swedish you know it's awesome, why bother with technicalities? ; )

Some things that bug me are the claim of 'true' or 'real' damascus. Also, when knife companies claim some samurai heritage that doesn't fit. The easiest place to find such crap is trolling through Williams-Sonoma cutlery descriptions.

Look at the buzzwords in this link. The knife is dual-density, dual-frequency, true damascus, and inspired by centuries-old samurai sword making techniques. Nothing screams samurai more than a Shun serrated bread/tomato knife.

k.

185843922092883237_zf8szmNe_f.jpg

When I was in school we were taught there is no more Damascus steel because it's not made in Damascus. :D It should properly be called pattern welded steel. :p

-AJ

Make no mistake though, I am a long and happy customer. I buy everything from plates, bowls,sushi supplies, etc, to Nenohi. (Not to mention you are my main source for bamboo leaves. When in stock)

I hear you. A lot of times Korin is sold out on things and we have ship them in two parts. I believe you are not charged until it's shipped out, but I might be wrong. I will relay this comment to the managers to let them know in hopes we can do SOMETHING about it. I don't think we can order more of things at a time, because our warehouses are packed, but maybe we can have a faster re-order point. Either way, we will think of something and thank you for letting me know. :)

Some things that bug me are the claim of 'true' or 'real' damascus. Also, when knife companies claim some samurai heritage that doesn't fit. The easiest place to find such crap is trolling through Williams-Sonoma cutlery descriptions.

Look at the buzzwords in this link. The knife is dual-density, dual-frequency, true damascus, and inspired by centuries-old samurai sword making techniques. Nothing screams samurai more than a Shun serrated bread/tomato knife.

k.

185843922092883237_zf8szmNe_f.jpg

ROFL WOW Thats hilarious. I need to start reading the knife descriptions on other sites. I would just like to note that I doubt samurai sword forging techniques have much to do with stain resistant damascus knives.

I hate that shipping overseas from America costs a fortune. Wonder if for overseas customers there is a "ship from alternate" that is possible - so that we can get items from Japan and calculate shipping that way...

I'm not saying that might be an option, but if it was...

Charcoal anyone?

Thats actually a brilliant idea. I will bring this idea up to Ms. Kawano and her brother (he takes care of Korin Japan as our importer). :)
Thank you!

By the way, Korin is have a charcoal and BBQ konro sale right now.

Back