A little help needed.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dav

Reaction score
Well quite possibly my search is over I'm looking to have a knife forged by a Sheffield maker. I want a purely functional knife - a 150mm petty and am looking towards an old traditional sheffield/English pattern/profile. Handle will be an English hardwood nothing too fancy and although I'll go with the makers recommendations as to steel as he has many years experience and obviously knows what's best/gets the best from like to go with a high carbon Swedish steel as again although older English knives would have probably used English made steel they would have used Swedish ore!

Now I've searched the web for some old pictures of Sheffield knives and have some good ideas but I know some of you on here have a great deal of knowledge and interest in Sheffield cutlery/knives so I wondered if those of you might have some pictures or additional ideas etc....

I want this to be first and foremost a functional "tool" but with heritage and history attached. I'm also quite excited about the prospect of the project and can actually begin to understand what some of you US guys experience when commissioning a knife from a US maker!

I remember reading somewhere on here that someone had bought some old stock Sheffield knives and was having them rehandled.

That could have been in my dreams tho.... Maybe someone else remembers more.

Otherwise all of the makers on here are great and will work with you to get a functional tool to your liking and shape.

Edit:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...m-Paring-Knives-available-Old-Sheffield-Stock!

This was being done by WillC, maybe talk to him and he can help design one with you or maybe can get more old stock to work with you.

You want Sheffield pics? Steeley, Google Fu San has got some Sheffield pics.

Many thanks m2hill I have hopefully found my maker, hence the excitement he's a Sheffield maker of extremely high repute I'm just looking for more decent pictures of Sheffield/English patterns so that the knife will use modern steel but will capture the essence of traditional Englishknife making, added to that it will be coming out of the Portland Works in Sheffield.

Many thanks Knyfenerd will do a search.

here are a few, hope it is what you are looking for.

rogers paring knife.jpg

pyramid paring knife.jpg

latham&owen chef knife2.jpg

latham&owen chef knife.jpg

askham paring knife.jpg

sheffield.jpg

sheffield2.jpg

sheffield3.jpg

sheffield4.jpg

most of them look big in the picks, but are all between 5 and 7 inches except for the Latham& Owen the middle one in the bottom row at about 9 inches

Many thanks Sachem, I've seen some of these but very helpful, I'm leaning towards the shape of the knife in the bottom 5 - fourth along (or second from the right), and from what I've read the profile should normally be quite flat, I also don't want the knife to be too thick, but from reading a few posts on here and researching the web many of the older Sheffield knives were suprisingly thin.

That is also a Latham & Owen Chef knife at about 7 inches. The previous Latham & Owen chef knife is actually 12 inches not 9 inches, sorry for the mistake. You would never have to worry about antique Sheffield blades being to thick. They are very nimble and quite thin.

Back