Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 440C Kitchen Knives

Question 440C Kitchen Knives

Today I decided to sharpen a folder I love but rarely use: a BuckLite 426\, end 90's, paid some 90 guilders, (Dutch florins, you know?), some $40 in that time.
    Long time ago I've thinned it somewhat: it had a hollow blade with some curious thickening just behind the edge I've removed of
    course. Today I made a convex edge ending at some 30 degree inclusive in a few minutes with sandpaper and leather + Cr2O3. It got scary sharp, and the edge is remarkable strong. Fine
    grain, no burr issues.
    I'm told the steel is 440C. Never seen any kitchen knife in that stuff. Why? Or is there some denomination problem I ignore?

As far as I know, 440C is a good cutlery steel. It isn't used it high end kitchen cutlery mainly because it is not fine-grained. Any steel will get scary sharp. The question is how long it takes to get there and how long it holds that edge. 440C just won't hold a super fine edge very well.

I think Cutco uses 440A which has less carbon, but more stain resistance than 440C so when the suburban housewife that bought it from her son's friend puts it in the dishwasher, it doesn't rust.

Ray Rogers made several of his custom kitchen knives out of 440C, hardened to Rc 59.

Rick

I just realized I have a BuckLite, as well, lol! I think it was my first "real" knife.

Glestain is also 440.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

One of the makers in the "ugly knife" thread talked up the greatness of 440C. As his blades were rather huge he probably could not afford to use anything else, maybe?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    One of the makers in the "ugly knife" thread talked up the greatness of 440C. As his blades were rather huge he probably could not afford to use anything else, maybe?
    or maybe just because 440C really benefits from speed holes...

Very interesting it comes up now.

I just had a conversation somewhere else with a person who also claimed 440C would go well in kitchen cutlery. I was wondering how much of it is true.
    A metallurgist. Very knowledgable about steel, but thats not everything I guess.

It depends on The cutlery, I suppose.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig