Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 440C Kitchen Knives

I'm sure it would produce a nice toothy edge at 60rc. 19c27 isn't too far away in composition.

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    I'm sure it would produce a nice toothy edge at 60rc. 19c27 isn't too far away in composition.
    +1. Although I'm not so sure it's really all that close to 19c27. It has a fair bit more chromium, not to mention a sprinkling of other stuff. Taking 5-7% of your iron and switching it to 5-7% of other stuff is pretty significant, if you ask me.

I guess 19c27 sacrifices some stain resistance if the accounts of ultimatums developing patinas are correct.

I think I might have two of the best kitchen blades ever made out of 440C. They still need some finishing up, but yes, at 60hrc, it seems to perform a lot better than one might think. I haven't tested the edge retention out enough to say much, but it does take a nice "scary sharp" edge.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Nothing wrong with 440C, it can make a great knife especially if done by a custom maker who knows what he's doing. It tends to be less popular since 154CM can hold an edge a bit longer, at the expense of some corrosion resistance. Both are larger carbide steels, but then so are D2, 19C27, and probably the semi-stainless steel Japanese clones of D2 as well. Sandvik, Devin Thomas and others favor the small carbide steels for kitchen knives because the thin edges need edge stability, but in general the user feedback on kitchen knives with the steels mentioned above seems very favorable. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing more knives in 440C, since corrosion is an issue where I live.

You have trouble with AEB-L, 19c27, etc. corroding? How about the pm stainless steels?

Spend some time @ my shop. Even plastic rusts here.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Where I'm living I have to oil all my knives after use, even my stainless ones. I've had VG-10 and CPM 154 rust, even Henkels have discolored over time. The cutco is still doing fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Glestain is also 440.
    I thought Glestain was Acuto (propriatory) steel whose composition was not published. I have a custom Chalef knife from 440c and they definitely do not sharpen the same or hold an edge the same.

Heat treatment can have a significant effect on the characteristics of a steel. That said, Glestain is the only 440C blade I keep in my collection.