What are your thoughts on...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
Dymondwood/Pakka wood?

I had a customer from a few years ago, want to rehandle some fillet knives he commissioned. It is a very durable produce, but I dont see it much in the kitchen...

What are your thoughts?

IMG-20120605-00064.jpgIMG-20120605-00063.jpg

Normally, I'm iffy, but you did it with class. Nice job, Pierre!

Looks nice to me, Pierre. I'd still prefer some natural figured wood though.

My boss has a New West Knifeworks with a pakka handle. I'm not really a fan on a kitchen knife, but you made it look damn good Pierre. Nice work-as usual!

Yes SIR, you made them look great!!!
I use it all the time on my round knives as a standard offering with stabilized woods as an upgrade. I love the stuff. It is super durable, good looking, easy to work, polishes up super clean and you've got a bunch of different color combinations that can appear natural to psychedelic. According to some of the old masters, the reason that Dymondwood got a bad wrap was because it was associated with Pakka wood which was the first acylic impregnated colored laminate. Apparently some of the older Pakka wood had serious voids and flaws that would only show up when you were 99% done and then WHAMO...some really ugly flaw would show up. I have never actually seen this happen on any of the hundreds I have done.

PZ

Usually they look like an off brand fruit flavored candy cane made out of burlap.

But these are ok. Knowing the handle is going on a blade you made surely has something to do with peoples opinions.

I've seen too much of it/something like it on Paki damascus knives. So I'm conditioned to think its cheap.

Because of the fact that it is seen primarily on kit knives and the $50 and under damascus bowies at the flea markets, I would avoid it.

I have had it on a cheaper Anza file blade knife and a $200 Hendrix custom.

Some of the color combos do seem a bit tacky.

But Pierre here, this looks great.

For a filet knife that may see extended water exposure (salt?), fish slime, and other hard use elements I think it is great choice.

Doesn't really do anything for me... I'm too used to having my jaw drop when I see Pierre's handles, that even as nicely as this wood turned out, I realised that ONLY the wood itself made it less than Pierre's usual masterpiece.

My honest opinion when i see it is "Frost Cutlery". You did a good job with it, but it does seem to devalue knives it is on, Whereas a multi color micarta or G10 might be a safer bet.

Back