Quantcast
handle-blade matches: what do you think?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: handle-blade matches: what do you think?

handle-blade matches: what do you think?

I have a few handles and I ground a few blades. Now, I'm trying to decide if I should marry any of them together. What do you think of each pairing? What would you do differently?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1541.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	7950

i think they look good.

I'd sell that Yosh to me. Why don't I have one of those? I like all he pairings, don't think I would change a thing. Handles are beautiful really like #2 from the top.

I think i would make one with a pink handle and give it to Pesky Seriously, those look good!!!

I think they look great...I might question the top one. Looks like the original is actually on the short side and maybe the new one won't actually be long enough?

Can't say I have ever seen a bad custom handle combo on those hammered Yoshies/Kumagaros.
    They seem to look good dressed up or down, regardless if natural of man-made handle materials.

Personally, on your selections overall, I'd add some color (if possible) into the mix for variety sake...

I like them all, nice choices.

Those are some great looking pieces of wood. I think they all match up well.

@mhenry: Thanks. I wish I could take credit for the handles. The top one is cocobolo/blackwood from Mike Davis and the others are Rottman. #2 came out better than I could have hoped. I sent a piece of amboyna from Mark to Rottman and he made the magic happen. The bottom two are also Rottman handles. I sent a big chunk of spalted ironwood burl for those. I can't wait to see what they look like once they darken up a bit.

@chinacats: The top handle looks short because it's super thick. It's actually my second longest handle. The replacement is about average for a 270 and is also on the thick side so it looks shorter than it is.

@add: Yeah... I've been accused of being too boring with my handle choices more than a few times. What can I say? I might go binge-drinking and then try a little something colorful in a spacer or something.