handle-blade matches: what do you think?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
I have a few handles and I ground a few blades. Now, I'm trying to decide if I should marry any of them together. What do you think of each pairing? What would you do differently?

IMG_1541.jpg

I'd sell that Yosh to me. Why don't I have one of those? I like all he pairings, don't think I would change a thing. Handles are beautiful really like #2 from the top.

I think i would make one with a pink handle and give it to Pesky :D Seriously, those look good!!!

I think they look great...I might question the top one. Looks like the original is actually on the short side and maybe the new one won't actually be long enough? :2cents:

Can't say I have ever seen a bad custom handle combo on those hammered Yoshies/Kumagaros.
They seem to look good dressed up or down, regardless if natural of man-made handle materials.

Personally, on your selections overall, I'd add some color (if possible) into the mix for variety sake...

Those are some great looking pieces of wood. I think they all match up well.

@mhenry: Thanks. I wish I could take credit for the handles. The top one is cocobolo/blackwood from Mike Davis and the others are Rottman. #2 came out better than I could have hoped. I sent a piece of amboyna from Mark to Rottman and he made the magic happen. The bottom two are also Rottman handles. I sent a big chunk of spalted ironwood burl for those. I can't wait to see what they look like once they darken up a bit. :)

@chinacats: The top handle looks short because it's super thick. It's actually my second longest handle. The replacement is about average for a 270 and is also on the thick side so it looks shorter than it is.

@add: Yeah... I've been accused of being too boring with my handle choices more than a few times. What can I say? :dontknow: I might go binge-drinking and then try a little something colorful in a spacer or something. :)

Agree with the above fwiw, including that I would prefer a longer one on the Yoshi myself. Nice work by the guys...

Stefan

Are you sure that amboyna handle isn't too adventurous for you? :D

They all look very nice.

Latest posts

Back