Quantcast
NKD (well really month): Fowler and Marr - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NKD (well really month): Fowler and Marr

Nice knives!!!

Those look great!
    It's always nice to see what those two are up to, as well.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Very beautiful knives!!! I love the damascus on the Marr.

But I would personally be a bit worried by the presence of copper in such close proximity of what will be slicing my food. Both copper oxide (the dark brown "tarnishing" you see on copper after a while, which forms with oxygen), and copper carbonate (the greeen coating on old copper, think statue of liberty, which forms in contact with water and salt), are considered to be quite toxic... better keep that ferrule polished on a very regular basis!!!

Very cool. That Marr handle is very D shaped. How does it feel?

That may be the Fowler that has interested me the most. I second the request for pictures of the back side and would also like a spine shot as well please . The profile looks pretty flat, but I guess so are most honesuki profiles. How is it performing for you so far?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

They look really nice! I am curious about how one could create a Hamon with O1, though. I was under the impression that differential heat treating was not possible with that steel.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Wow, what bunch of night owls and early morning folks... don't knife knuts ever sleep?

Thanks for the comments everyone!
    Sorry for the lack of spine shots: I had a tripod issue and then ran out of time when I was shooting.

If it will help to tide you over, the spine on the Fowler starts at 5mm and goes down to 3.3 before the drop to the tip (where it quickly drops to 1mm and below).

Yes, the back is hollow ground, I'd say about as much as my honesuki and deba, but not as much as I've seen on yanagi's. As for how this differs from a garasuki ? That would be better answered by someone with more J-knife cred than me, but my understanding is that this could typically be called a garasuki as it's a large, single bevel poultry knife, but it is thicker, longer and differently shaped than any garasuki I've seen. It's also designed with slicing in mind, which I don't think is typically a consideration / use for garasuki.

The profile is very flat, but only the first 50-60% of the profile is actually flat. From there, it does have a gentle sweep up to the tip (this helps both to not bury / smash the tip when chopping and to use an arc motion to finish a cut when slicing. Only a few chickens and 2 turkeys have fallen to the Fowler so far, so I'm still getting a feel for it, but it's been working really well. It's nimble enough to do all the de-boning and fillet work, but long enough to slice up the meat and stout enough to smash though the remaining bones and back. No double it's an odd knife, but Stephen gave me exactly what I asked for.

As for the Marr: it's stouter than it looks. I have not doubt that it could also tackle a chicken. The handle is one of the coolest, most thoughtfully designed ones that I've ever held. The craftsmanship is obviously top notch, but there are little details all over that make it really comfortable, functional, and just fun to look at and touch. I don't know if you can see it on the left side of the handle, but he gave the underside just the slightest little concavity which makes a really natural little home for your finger tips.
    As Johnny and others noticed: it is "very D" indeed. But it works very well with my large hands and the high grip that I use on a small, low knife like this one. I have no problem making heel contact with the board. It also makes the grip feel very confident when used in the air like a paring knife.

As for the issue of copper toxicity: it doesn't concern me much. My understanding is that the places where this is an issue is if you are cooking highly acidic things in a unlined copper pot or if you are creating a lot of small particles of copper though grinding or sanding. Also, I typically keep my knife hand and handle almost totally out of contact with the food. The kind of soaking, prolonged exposure that would cause copper or copper oxides to leach into the food is not ever going to happen. Still I always appreciate the concern when matters of health and safety are concerned.

I will try to hurry up with my poultry and petty knife project and get a mega gallery and review up sooner rather than later. The other knives in the project include a weird little Carter honyaki honesuki (with an interesting story), zakuri boning, watanabe honesuki, and a Mizuno deba.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    They look really nice! I am curious about how one could create a Hamon with O1, though. I was under the impression that differential heat treating was not possible with that steel.
    DURRR, yeah that's what I get for posting before bed... steel on the Fowler is W2, not O1.... got my letter/number steels switched around. Thanks for the catch Spike!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    Only a few chickens and 2 turkeys have fallen to the Fowler so far...
    Sounds like the same old story of bird on bird crime.

Wow, great knives.
    Nice to see folks not playing it safe with traditional design and material choices.