Quantcast
What knife should I buy? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What knife should I buy?

I've been trying to decide between the Suisin Inox and the ******** Artifex myself, ones a little over the price range.

I've heard good things about Suisin Inox. And the Artifex is AEB-L steel

I bought a Shun and sold it recently because I didn't even want to look at it anymore. My Fujiwara hasn't let me down.
    It's not the Answer it's the Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    I think Akifusa is more helpful than Ikeda. That's like telling someone to buy a knife by Bill without giving a last name.
    I guess if you are new to these sort of things...

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by vai777 View Post
    I guess if you are new to these sort of things...
    OH SNAP, EXCELLENT POINT.

good thing I didn't say Ichimonji

So a new person to J knives asks for advice and he is supposed to know the names of the men behind the brands?
    Do you work for EE by any chance?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Great discussion.

Just to point out, JWW is a little cheaper than EE if I remember correctly. Those knives are still a little out of the 150 range, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    So a new person to J knives asks for advice and he is supposed to know the names of the men behind the brands?
    Do you work for EE by any chance?
    Well...type in Ikeda knives into google and let me know what you get...and...
    I do not work for EE...I have no affiliation with any knife dealer online or brick and mortar for that matter...

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    Great discussion.

Just to point out, JWW is a little cheaper than EE if I remember correctly. Those knives are still a little out of the 150 range, though.
    yes Japan wood worker is cheaper...but you would have to get the "artisan brand" version of the Ikeda...I like the one with the kanji...though after grinding (thinning) mine the kanji is no longer visible...

and I think the artisan is a little thicker....

Thanks for the absolute boatload of advice, guys. I lurked around some other threads a little bit, and it seems that the guy from CKTG is legit, so I went ahead and ordered a Tojiro ITK, 240mm in the white steel #2 from there. The guy from zknives.com says this is a really hard, decent steel, so I'm stoked. Besides, this knife is quite pretty, and has a wooden handle, which I like. I also nabbed a King Combo stone to go with it.

I took a look at the Akifusa/Ikeda/"Artisan" knives, and they looked really awesome, plus zknives has a raving review on them. They seem to be your basic "awesome as hell," most possible bang for your buck knife around. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one online for much less than $200. Maybe I'll check 'em out again when I'm in the market for knife #2 some time in the future.

I kindof expected to see a sticky around here somewhere all about learning to use a sharpening stone, but was unable to find one. Any pointers, or a link to a writeup/video? Also, is it recommended for newbs such as myself to do the fun things like changing the angle of the edge, or maybe I need some practice with the basics first?

+ Reply to Thread