Mcusta-Zanmai

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
Every now and then something new comes along that I haven't seen and makes me stop and really check it out but not so much these days do I see something new that impresses. Well today I got in a gyuto for sharpening that had a pretty unique feature that I'll leave without description for you to figure out for yourself. :)

BTW, this knife has a fantastic faint convex grind and pretty decent profile. I have no idea what this costs or if it's worth the price or not (it's VG-10) but it seems like a very nice knife from what I can gather holding it in my hands.

I figured that some of you would like to see it as well.....

P1010003.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010012.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010016.JPG

P1010017.JPG

P1010018.JPG

That handle is crazy!

Neat handle, is that from the factory? Is it actually san mai, looks monosteel to me.

I didn't mention this but the F&F is exceptional and yup it appears to be factory

Neat handle, is that from the factory? Is it actually san mai, looks monosteel to me.

It's factory. Was sold here in Sweden until a while ago, wasn't worth the price for the steel though.. but i did want one.

I didn't know the nickel silver anti-bacterial!

How is the wondering octagonal handle? It looks like it wants to be held, very comfy.

I didn't know the nickel silver anti-bacterial!

yup. it's the copper. some hospitals have been switching to nickel silver, and other copper alloy, plated hardware on cabinets, etc, because of the effect. i wouldn't think it would matter so much on a knife, since knives get washed often, but it's great for cabinets and pulls, since they aren't washed often. here is a little info from wikipedia.

Would be a whole hell of a lot cooler if it wasn't VG - 10.

Would be a whole hell of a lot cooler if it wasn't VG - 10.

+ 1
Really, really like the handles and f&f. If it was carbon or a better stainless, Id be googling where to place an order. Thanks for sharing though! Cool stuff.

The f&f looks great as far as picture can say, the twisted handle I haven't a clue I'd have to hold it in hand before I said anything about comfort. VG-10 well I wish it was a more highly regarded steel but let's hear from Dave, how was it to sharpens? I've heard varying reports on VG-10 which basically came down to the HT, was it super chippy or was it a decent blade?

I got one of these for my dad. And it's a surprisingly good knife. Holds a really good edge. At least his one does.

"Knife of the Year 2012"

Well not only Mcusta figured it out.
601306_10150905692856033_1684201909_n.jpg

HA! You're kiddin me!

Dave, you've got a job opening at the Blade Show.

I wouldn't buy that knife for $30 BTW. The blade looks like poorly set concrete.

Back