Quantcast
what should I buy, carried over from newbie section - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what should I buy, carried over from newbie section

I'm quite sure that when I asked Dave what the worst knife he ever had to sharpen was, he responded with the Suisin western INOX. Just an FYI.

Really? Worse than a Maestro Wu Bombshell Cleaver? I know he LOVES those!

I don't mind sharpening the Suisin westerns at all. Can't see why Dave would.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Nope it would be New West Knives. He said how much he loves that steal. Just cringes every time he gets one in.

What do you guys use for steak knives? Smaller pettys for those who want non serrated?

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by cnochef View Post
    I'm quite sure that when I asked Dave what the worst knife he ever had to sharpen was, he responded with the Suisin western INOX. Just an FYI.
    This doesn't sound right at all. They're pretty easy to sharpen.

Quote Originally Posted by steelcity View Post
    What do you guys use for steak knives? Smaller pettys for those who want non serrated?
    FWIW: I'm using 120mm Fujiwara FKM's. It was the cheapest good knife I could find, and I think stainless is a must for this application. It's the perfect size, at about 1/2" longer than my regular el cheapo steak knives.

I wanted the Hiromoto G3 for some reason, but decided against it because that extra $26 adds up quickly on multiples, now I can hardly see needing a nicer production knife for this application. Sure a full custom set would be nice (with pretty handles and all), but it is a hard to justify extravagance for my lifestyle.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Are you set on a western style handle? I have very large hands and find that I have much better luck with "wa" style handles. Zakuri seem to be among the largest that I've used, but really the only wa handle that's felt too small has been the redwood one that CKTG uses on the house "********' brand.

Western style handles are much more hit or miss for me. I really love my Kikuichi TKC (same template as the CarbonNext that you where looking at) but, the stock handle felt so cramped that I eventually had it re-handled.

+ Reply to Thread