Quantcast
Trying a single bevel, looking for iput and suggestions. - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying a single bevel, looking for iput and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    Randy, did you get one of the platen's from Nathan? I got a 48" one and while being a pain to use( have to keep stuff ultra square) it makes the urasuki much easier to do efficiently. Looking good so far. I started a mioroshi deba also lol, looks like we are doing single bevels at the same time
    Mike this is the blade you started grinding on when you were here, I did order a 48" platen but have not received it YET.. The back is flat ground.

Marko, I really am just playing around and wanted to try something new and different, I done know how well it will work out. Thats why I asked for opinions.
    I will never know for sure until I try. And that's just what Im doing!!

God Bless YA!
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

The only way is to try! Good luck Randy, I figure, why settle for the status quot. I hillbilly-rigged my own platten, kinda like a french curve. Different radius' along its length. I just figure where to hold my work piece.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Absolutely, by all means.

I have tried it and found that to make it an effective all around cutter, it has to be thin, otherwise it will turn and wedge. It will work well on proteins, but the rest is a coin toss.

Shallow things will respond well, more dense stuff will wedge.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

you may be right and it could be limited?

I have been working this thing all afternoon! about 3 hours on the 1200g stone. Im giving that new King a work out! lol I did manage to remove most of my fingerprints on my first 2 fingers of my left hand.. lol from rubbing the stone as I work on the faces of this knife..

Looks like a couple more hours on the 1200 then who knows how much more on the 2K and 5K and then finally the 8K Then I may etch the blade and then rework the bevel on the right side back to 8000?? Not sure whats the best way to expose the damascus pattern at that high polish? I see some J knives that are highly polished yet still show the damascus pattern.. Is this from using natural stones? or adding something to the water when your polishing on the stones to help bring out the pattern? Or is it a ancient Japanese secret?

I do have a new found respect for Japanese polishers! Its alot of work. and takes patience and skills!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Do you have any coarse stones to do the bulk of the shaping? Diamond plates work nicely for that and they stay flat.

Tax, that would be WAY to easy!! I used my grinders to rough it out and remove the bulk, But a diamond plate would of been nice! lol

Availible Knives

Gluten for punishment, eh? I have some of the cheap diamond stones from Harbor freight that are a 4 sided block. Great to set a bevel, remove a chip, flatten a ripple, etc, then I move to the stones from there. Saves wear and tear and flattening on the good stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Maybe we could talk Randy into making a laser? Remember the one Salty snapped up? I think the spine was like 1.6mm at the heel.

Always open to try new stuff! message me and we can give it a try!!

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by Taz575 View Post
    Gluten for punishment, eh? I have some of the cheap diamond stones from Harbor freight that are a 4 sided block. Great to set a bevel, remove a chip, flatten a ripple, etc, then I move to the stones from there. Saves wear and tear and flattening on the good stones.
    Heading to HF to get me one of them. Thanks Taz for the heads up!! I went to wet dry sand paper yesterday at 400 G and was able to really make some progress! Its looking GREAT! But having a 4 sided diamond block will always be helpful on this or future projects!

Availible Knives

They are fairly coarse and need to be broken in. The one I have is a 200, 300, 400 and 600 grit block and works fairly well, but you will need to remove the scratches with some coarse stones or sandpaper afterwards. I would break in the diamond block on some metal before going to the knife to knock off the sharp tips otherwise you will have lots of deep uneven scratches to get out. But it should work pretty quick for you! I bought the smaller individual stones which have the metal plate glued to a plastic piece around 1/8" thick. They were OK, but the metal comes unglued as well, so I just use the metal tabs for breaking corners on the spine/choil areas of knives The 4 sided block seems to be holding up better, but I will probably have to reglue the metal plates at some point. Much cheaper than a DMT, but it's a throw away type item once it's worn out completely.

+ Reply to Thread