Quantcast
Trying a single bevel, looking for iput and suggestions. - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying a single bevel, looking for iput and suggestions.

Right on!! Thanks for the info! I found that the 400 G sand paper on a flat plate is working wonders!

I still dont know what or how to bring out the pattern of the damascus in a traditional sense? I can etch the blade like I normally would, but that seems to be counter productive on this project..

Will the damascus pattern develop at some point in the polishing, or is it the stones used that make the pattern visible?

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Natural stones could bring out the pattern, I think there are ways to do so without naturals but someone with more experience would have to explain that. I could send you a piece of uchigumori if you would like to try that for polishing.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
    Natural stones could bring out the pattern, I think there are ways to do so without naturals but someone with more experience would have to explain that. I could send you a piece of uchigumori if you would like to try that for polishing.
    Im not sure what uchigumori is, but heck yea.. lol Ill try it! I worked more on the knife this morning, and now have a nice hazy looking polish from the king 1200 pretty much on the entire blade. so Im making progress!!! Ill snap a few pictures and post em up

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

The uchigomori are natural finger stones; Maksim's page about these. They won't give a high contrast like etching will, more hazy instead. PM me an address if you would like to try the uchigomori.

Let's see those pictures.

Here are a few. Its hard to show what it really looks like in a photo, Im sure you guys knife what I mean.

Still working on this, and getting quite a rush from seeing the blade finish take shape. I hope that when I get to 5 and 8K that the damascus pattern starts to show?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0821 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	8035   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0827 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	8037  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0824 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	199.0 KB 
ID:	8036   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0836 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	207.1 KB 
ID:	8039  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
    The uchigomori are natural finger stones; Maksim's page about these. They won't give a high contrast like etching will, more hazy instead. PM me an address if you would like to try the uchigomori.

Let's see those pictures.
    Thanks for the link!

Ill shoot ya a message.. Its very kind of you to offer and send the stone for me to try on this project!

Availible Knives

The higher you polish on most all synthetics, the less the pattern shows up.

Fingerstones do this best, but there are some steel combos that certain fingerstones don't like. It's trial and error.

You can always etch it, no?

I can but was shooting for natural stone etched look if possible. I was thinking I could add a little vinegar to my water when working the stones and it may bring out the pattern.. But that seemed like cheating.

Availible Knives

If it's a mix of carbon steels, I suppose if the polishing doesn't bring out the pattern, maybe a forced patina would help? But I have no clue, just throwing out an idea.

It is a mix of High carbon steels. If I remember correctly its a 3 steel mix.

Availible Knives