Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Trying a single bevel, looking for iput and suggestions.

At least my eyes didn't fool me :-) You should consult JBro a bit about traditional single bevel's bevel width. Usually it is fairly constant or getting even a little wider towards the tip.

Looking good

I just may do that, Thanks for the advice.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

That is a sweet affect the damascus has, n never seen that before! Backside shots?

Is the blade road also ground in concave? I only ask because the shinogi line seems to "stick out" in the pattern. Either way, looks pretty sweet to me!

Well, As I said many times, This was the first for me. And like "my" normal. I decided to try this mid stream. and on a whim.

I really didnt do alot of research or did I study and learn all the Japanese words for all the things on this knife, So please bare with me as I try and describe the grinds and shapes and such!

The blade has a nice taper which basically runs from the heel to the tip, on both faces. Then the backside is ground creating the concave area, on only the left blade face leaving the handle area flat.

The R. side single bevel was then machine ground flat.

Thats when I started working the entire blade with my water stones. and I spent about 8 hours over a week of time working and refining the single bevel. Because I used the stones on the face as well as the flat on the R side, there may be a slight convex to them but I dont think any concave. I also know that I raised the height of the grind near the heel at this stage on the stones to compensate for and get past a area where I messed up a little when setting the original tapers.

I was really hoping that at some point in the process of working these on the wet stones that the damascus pattern would start to show naturally, And I took this as high as 8k. working with 5 different stones. What I found was that each gives unique and nice finishes, but none gave me a look I was happy with that gave a hint that the blade was damascus and not a mono steel. .
    So at about 5K finish on the grind, and a 3k on the face. I etched the blade and thats where it sets now.

The edge, is basically at 0 ground right now and is sharp and cuts. But its not that screaming sharp that I am hoping to achieve. I have not added a final bevel on either side. So, I am seeking any advice as to what is next. to attempt to get a real edge on this. Then I can really do some test cutting and determine if its worthy to be a pass around or a work horse in my kitchen..

Thanks for reading and any advice is always appreciated.

God Bless!
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

To my surprise, This one found a NEW HOME. Its going to my friend and he will refine what I have done, fix the areas that need to be adjusted and either add some handles and who knows?? He may send it back to me for handles? Either way, Its n good hands. and Im happy knowing he is gona make it all it can be!

Thanks guys for looking and the comments and ALL your advise and helpful info.

Availible Knives

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Well Randy was it worth the time? Are you gonna do another single bevel blade? I think with a little more practice you will get what you want out of the stones. Ty for the write up, it gives a insight that video's make it look to easy. Very informative.
    Chewie's the man.

Just in general and for your next trip to single bevel land, I don't think a blade with a 59-60 HRC has the requirements to make a top notch single bevel.

Thanks for the input Rottman. What is the lowest RC that a single bevel knife should be?

I plan to make many more single bevel knives. I purchased and finally set up the 48" platen.. So I cant stop now. Im on a mission.

This one was a great challenge, I even sanding the concave into the back by hand.. With sanding blocks and paper. Was it worth it you ask, Of course it was. I loved working on it and learned alot. I dont know about the videos and stuff you mentioned. But I will say this, If it was easy, EVERYONE would be doing them!

God Bless

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    Thanks for the input Rottman. What is the lowest RC that a single bevel knife should be?
    With Japanese makers even the lower end lines are usually stated around 61-62 in white#2, in reality they might be 1 hrc softer, so something around 62 should be fine, but I'm no expert on single bevels: paging Mr. Broida, paging Mr. Broida....